Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am writing about my grandson (whom I have custody of) with…

Customer Question
I am writing about my...
I am writing about my grandson (whom I have custody of) with my friend who is getting her master's in ABA. We believe that we will share all of the important information with you.
My grandson has ADHD, is borderline for developmentally delayed, and is bipolar. The school he attends states he's fine without his meds. He cholesterol levels were a little elevated, so they lowered his Ability. These are the behaviors we are currently seeing at home since the medication decrease (these are not like my grandson): he is lying, he is taking things without asking and lying about it (1- he took his cousin's controller for the PS4 without asking to a friend's house, broke it, hid it at the house, and initially lied that he brought it back to his cousin; the remote was later found at the friend's house in a closet; 2- a friend bought him and his older brother $20 play station cards, my grandson was supposed to give the code to his older brother but instead put both of the $20 cards on his account and lied and said he lost it), impulsivity (when angry, he will say things he doesn't mean (like telling a friend he wants her out of is "f***ing life"), when angry, possible punishment doesn't work (when told we will be in contact with his probation officer (he threatens to leave a family friend's house when he gets in trouble there and walk home to my house) he says he doesn't care he still wants to go home- he doesn't walk home though; when told he would leave the showcase of a school of a family friend if he didn't get out of her classroom and his Playstation would be taken away, he didn't care until she called her father to come get him, then he left her classroom and that's when he said, "I want you out of my f***ing life); gets angry easily when things do not go his way.
Legal issues: He is currently on probation for something we are not sure he did. When he first got out of jail, he was asked what happened. He stated he made his little brother perform fellatio once and stuck his finger in his butt. When asked where this occurred, he stated at a friend's house. When asked when it happened, he said he didn't know. It was at court appointed counseling that they pointed out it occurred in January of 2016 (it wasn't brought to the authorities attention till July 2016) and it happened at his mother's house. He changed his story accordingly with fear that they would send him to a 15 month center if he didn't. Then he takes his first polygraph (January 2018). He states something happened a few months ago, which really happened two years ago. He was with his cousin and they felt each other's penises through clothes in the yard. They are around the same age. Then a few days ago (March 27, 2018) he stated something happened this January after being questions 3-5 times about something happening in January. He stated it was the time his aunt had her baby and that he did something with his cousin again. For that to happen, it would have been January 9, before his first polygraph. They said he did it after his first poly graph and was unsuccessfully discharged from the program. He needs to go back to court and may go back to jail because of this. He is notorious for getting dates mixed up. Things that happened a few months ago to him, could have happened a few years ago. Things that occurred a few years ago, could have happened a few days ago in his mind. They state he is lying.
He also has nightmares during times of great stress. When he was first released from jail, he had reoccurring nightmares that his mother was coming to kidnap him and abuse him (she used to hit him with a belt and leave marks). Now that this is occurring, he is having nightmares he is being tortured by the court appointed counselors at their office.What is going on with him and how do we help him? His insurance is Medicaid, so he doesn't have a good therapist he can see. His therapist has discharged him from therapy because he was doing well on his medications, before the psychiatrist changed his meds.I do not want family law! We already have a lawyer. I want therapy or psychiatry so we know what's going on in his mind. No family law!!We also found out that what happened, according to my grandson, never occurred on January 9. His cousin was asked about it, and it never happened. Also, his cousin's mom was up the whole night watching them. The court appointed therapists keep saying it occurred after the first polygraph. However, the first poly graph occurred on, or around, the 14-17th of January. Now before the 9th.
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Mental Health
3/30/2018
Mental Health Professional: Patience, Therapist replied 23 days ago
Patience
Patience, Therapist

Hello- I am so sorry to hear of your family's problems. I am glad you are reaching about it, though. Please let me know when you are online, as soon as you can, so we can discuss your situation.!

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist