Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I always feel like everyone is like talking about me and it…

Customer Question
I always feel like...

I always feel like everyone is like talking crap about me and it becomes overwhelming. a lot of the time i will tense up all of my muscles and clench my jaw .. other times i will feel out of breath and weak.. i never know exactly how i feel about anything and i have racing thoughts a lot .. i dont know what to do or where i can go for help and its causing problems at work because it gets soo intense sometimes that i cant deal with it so i end up going home sick

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No i haven't i dont know how to go about doing that or what kind of doctor to go to or anything and i do not take any medications , but maybe i should be? i always try to tough everything out or get through it on my own or by myself.. ive always kind of been thatway

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Also, for a long time i was extremely depressed so bad that i couldnt andwouldnt get out of bed for like a week or more sometimes

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

No this is the first time

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mental Health
3/30/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 3 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** off, I am glad you took the step to ask for help about this condition. Anxiety can be a tough condition and you shouldn't feel you need to be alone in handling it. Based on what you wrote, Ii feel like you may be suffering from social anxiety where situations involving other people tend to make you feel very self-conscious, nervous, and presumptuous about things that probably aren't happening. Social anxiety will play tricks on someone's ability to enjoy social situations as they ruminate about all the bad things that could come from the situation. The irony to this and most other anxieties is that anxiety is just making up stories, thinking about worst case scenarios, and then projecting them in your ear until you start to believe them. Anxiety can be very controlling and has a big behavioral component where the more you listen to the anxiety and avoid things, the more influential it becomes.

Now, the primary treatment for social anxiety is actually a type of therapy called Exposure Therapy. Exposure therapy helps get you into situations that cause you discomfort until that discomfort is conquered though practice. It can be a taxing therapy because it involves head-on participation with things that make you feel unsettled but it can also be very efficient and quick once you dive in.

The second type of therapy that can help with anxiety is a medication called an SSRI. Paxil, Luvox and Zoloft are three SSRIs named as reducing symptoms of social anxiety, but the other SSRIs may also be effective with this condition.
Bang for the buck treatment for social anxiety is a combination of medications and therapy. You should definitely tell your primary care doctor about your symptoms specifically questioning if they will prescribe an SSRI. Then you want to also ask about referrals for great counselors in your area (again, those who practice exposure therapy) or check here. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists.

I hope this helps give you some ideas on where you can get help. You deserve help!! You can feel so much better if you are ready to face this.

-Leah