Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have been on celexa for 20+ years at 10 mg. It has

Customer Question
I have been on...

I have been on celexa for 20+ years at 10 mg. It has recently quit working. My doctor put me on 10mg of Paxil today. I did no weaning off the celexa. Will I have problems?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I went to my doctor today and she did the switch. She said there should be no problem with the switch. I am on 10 mg of Benazepril and 50 mg of altenolol.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

No that I am aware of. She has given me diazepam if needed.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mental Health
3/30/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 3 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Hi, my name is***** you for writing. Your doctor is certainly taking a non-conservative (but not unheard of) approach to switching your antidepressant. Ideally, for the switch that you have made, it would be safest albeit longer to completely taper off the Celexa and then start the Paxil at a low dose. In some ways, I feel like a conservative approach may be wise considering how long you been on the Celexa. While her transition will be swifter, it is more likely to cause you activation side effects of starting the Paxil as well as withdrawal side effects due to quitting the Celexa cold turkey. Risk of a double whammy. If your doctor has vast experience in SSRI use, then I would tend to trust that she knows what is best for you. However, if you want to be conservative and time is not as much of a factor, I think a more subtle changeover is probably warranted given the length of time you've been on the Celexa.
Leah
How should the taper process be scheduled?

Ideally over a course of 1 to 2 months staying at reduced steps for ~ 2 weeks. So down to 7.5mg for 2-3 weeks, then 5m for 2-3 weeks, then 2.5 for 2-3 weeks then stop.