Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am a 39 year old woman who has been suffering from panick…

Customer Question
Hello I am a 39...
Hello I am a 39 year old woman who has been suffering from panick attacks and anxiety since 11.i have been on and off meds , currently on .I tried therapy but not cbt ,even with meds now I am not ok .still have attacks but most importantly is that contsant fear of dying .for me is heart attack,brain aneurysm,or nlod clot .I need some help some fresh thoughts ,like now it's 3am I can't sleep it's been like that for long time
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mental Health
3/28/2018
Mental Health Professional: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 3 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, I am so sorry you are goi g through this. I have actually struggled with anxiety over the years and it is gruesome. I seriously hope we can find you some relief.You say you have tried therapy, but not cbt. Why not cbt? CBT is the gold standard in the treatment of anxiety. Another highly effective approach is EMDR. I would probably start with CBT.You say you started struggling with anxiety at 11 years of age. What significant event occurred around that time. Did you lose a loved one, your parent go through a divorce, or did you go through an illness.What seems to trigger your anxiety? What do you think is the cause of it? When is it better? What do you do for relief?
I really want to help you, but the answers to these questions will help me do so.
I do know exactly the trigger my great grandma took her last death breathes right in front of me ,I remember the face ,the eyes ,and that shaloww breathing ,from that point on I began to have shortness of breath ,I was asking constantly my mom or grandma who was a Dr pls feel my heart .as I grew up it began to escalate attacks began so bad I was losing conciouncness ,and that fear is what killing me ,for a while I was somewhat ok ,and then year and a half ago I had a nervous breakdown due to too much working ,too much on my mind ,I couldn't eat ,I was in bed dying .I was put on zoloft , clonopin ,cbt I can't take simply because once a week is not enough and more insurance doesn't cover .my attacks can start out of nowhere nothing triggers ,what helps I use ice ,but more often than not I use fight or flight .every day I have problem with breathing I have a need to take bunch of breath,fear of aneurism is because I suffer from bad migraine ,and clots because I had some people I know die from it .I know we all die ,I guess my fear is I don't want to die Young
R u still available
I’m looking over your response. I was distracted
We can do this on here, but I would like to talk to you on the phone if that is possible. It’s up to you?
I rather talk here
That is fine.
What kind of therapy did you receive?
Just a regular therapy not cbt at that time I did not know about cbt .I even tried hypnosis
Do you know anything about EMDR?
No
It is I Eye Movement Reprocessing Desensitization. On the surface, is sounds like hocus-pocus, but is well documented and reputable. I encourage you to research it. If you can afford it, it might be very effective. Now, give me a couple minutes and I will give you some hopeful helpful advice...

That was Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing.

How about all the phisicsl symptoms ,sob ,stomach issues ,pain in back and arms ,fatige

I would imagine as you find relief for your anxiety, those symptom will subside.

Bit is it typical for people like me to have these symptoms

yes

The first thing I recommend is processing the loss of your great grand mother and maybe other losses. Revisit memories and such. Rejoice over the good times and cry over the bad, Maybe create memorials for each loss. These can be as simple as a trinket that reminds you of them, something that you can look to for reassurance of their presence.

You said something about stress at work. Do you still have that job and stress?

For me I accepted her passing ,the problem it created horrifying fear of dying

I figured you had over time. I just felt that should be addressed first. What about the job?

I have a job ,I am a private duty nurse who works with dementia patients ,so sleep is a problem .stress because of my anxiety and OCD I. Am under this dark cloud at all times

That is a tough job for someone who struggles with a fear of death.

The thing is when I am with patients I am ok and under control ,but I lose control with myself or my family

That is probably due to stifling it while with your patients. we store our negative emotions in a so-called reservoir. that reservoir eventually fills and we have no where else to store them. That leads to explosions. Does that make sense?

I guess ,but my anxiety and attacks started way before I started working it just became stronger as ingot older .the only times I had no attacks but I did have anxiety was when I was pregnant with my children

Those emotions are stored over time.

How old are your children?

My son who is 18 and daughter who will be 11 in may

Exercise regularly. Walk or Here are some things you can do:

1. ​Get good sleep. I'm not sure what your habits are, but you are a nurse. figure something out, Plan on 8 hours of sleep. Turn off sll electronics 1 hour before bedtime. If you have difficulty sleeping in bed. sleep on the couch. Play some soothing sounds such as whit noise or such. If you wake up, go to a different location and return to sleep.
  2. Remove what you can from your slate. There are things you do that are unnecessary, reduce your agenda,
  3. exercise daily. Something simple. Walk, etc.
  4. Laugh.
  5. find a hobby

Do you know about a breathing exercise to release stress?

I tried and for some reason it doesn't work.i keep holding my mouth open like fish out of water ,yawning ,or just take lots of breathe
TRy breathing in through your teeth
How

Anyway, don't fight your anxiety. Just find ways to relieve it.

How .I think since age 11i haven't breathed right
U right every day it's like a battle for me .

y​ou have to make a very conscious effort. There are different approaches. Find what works for you. Recruit a coach to help

I think the the big things are:​

• ​Rethink your worries. You aren't dying and you know that. Your gm probably died because she was old.
  • Relax. Find ways to Relax during the day
  • Relieve your stresses. eliminate the unnecessary
  • Rest. sleep well
  • Rely on a higher power, whatever that might be. You can only do so much
  • Rejuvenate. Exercise and Eat well
  • Rejoice, Do not take life so seriously.

I hope I have been helpful. If so, please let it be known with a positive rating.

Dr I wanted to ask one more thing .I have a tremendous fear of flying ,I haven't flew anywhere since 2011 ,and this summer my husband and kids wants me to try to fly somewhere within 3 hours of flying .how I can overcome it and what can help before or during
REASSURE yourself flying by commercial air is the safest mode of travel available.REACH the airport in plenty of time to get on comfortably.REMOVE yourself from the moment with a good book or something intriguing.RELAX. This is a good time to nap.REMEMBER where you are going . It’s worth it’
But with an anxiety like mine for the first time in such a long time would u recommend some type of medicine
Dramamine will take care of any nausea as well as make you sleepy. As far as simply calming your nerves and putting you to sleep, a good natural otc med is melatonin. If you can convince your dr to prescribe it, klonopin is an option.
I take clonopin it doesn't make me sleepy but I can ask if I can increase the dose
Oh wow, it knocks me out.
I take 0.25
Well, I am supposed to take that twice a day, but I only take a half as needed.