Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Maryann,I have been improving one step at a time..looking at…

Hi Maryann,I have been improving...
Hi Maryann,I have been improving one step at a time..looking at this as a hole I can see I'm questioning and visualising every single memory that I come up with throughout 2003/2007 is clouded (I hope) by this idea I have (what if I killed someone in the past and forgotten)My question is I no ocd can pick on events and distort them...but in my case can ocd really go as far as distorting every memory between that time frame??
3/26/2018
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hi Lucy,

I'm glad to hear you are improving! Taking it one step at a time is a smart way to deal with what you are feeling.

To answer your question, it is likely that you have other memories from your past. However, OCD is all encompassing. OCD is focused on creating anxiety where it can. And that focus takes a lot of energy and attention. So when you are thinking about your past, the OCD is going to be right up there, wanting attention. And the way to get that attention is to try to convince you that there is something from your past you have forgotten or that you are remembering incorrectly and that it is dangerous, which creates anxiety and worry for you. That type of intensity pushes aside all other memories and leaves you feeling that you only have memories that the OCD has created. It's much like when you are facing something like surgery or a major test. You do have other things going on in your life at the time, but your focus is on that surgery or that test. It is the way the mind focuses to be sure that something important and serious is not pushed to the wayside. However, as important and real as surgery or a test might be, OCD is not focused on something real but instead on convincing you that there is something real that needs your focus and that you need to be anxious about.

MaryAnn

Thank you Maryann,it's just every memory I have between 2003-2007 points to you must have done this...can it really distort so many memories?

You're welcome!

OCD can distort your memories. It may seem like OCD takes over almost every memory you have about your past. But more than likely, it seems that way because of the intensity of the OCD and because your other memories are pushed into the background or changed because of the OCD. Also, like we talked about, memories are already difficult to recall accurately. So any OCD memories more than likely seem more intense and maybe even detailed, more than any other memory you have because the OCD memories seem more real. Almost all memories are distorted in some way. None are easy to recall in specific and accurate detail unless you have an eidetic memory or some significant reason why a memory stands out. Even then, details are not clear. So other memories you have are going to be vague already. Then you add the intensity of the OCD, and those real memories become less clear and even become difficult to recall. But they are there. When the OCD becomes less intense, your other memories will be more clear.

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist
Thank you so much Maryann..
You have put so much into perspective..im truly gratefull.
Maryann can I ask one other question regarding the above?

You are so welcome, Lucy!

Yes, of course you can ask another question.

MaryAnn

But more than likely, it seems that way because of the intensity of the OCD and because your other memories are pushed into the background or changed because of the OCD.So in a way ocd is constructing my memories to fit in with my fear

Exactly. The OCD is going to take over in a way, making it seem like there is something to be afraid of and giving you something to worry over. However, that is only the OCD making it seem like that. It's not what actually happened.

MaryAnn

Thank you...take care maryann

You're welcome! Thank you...you take care as well!

MaryAnn