Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have had panic disorder with agoraphobia since I was 18.

Customer Question
I'm 32 now. I also...
I have had panic disorder with agoraphobia since I was 18. I'm 32 now. I also have generalized anxiety. I have been on every combination of antidepressant and benzodiazepines and some have helped more than others, but it never works for very long. Are there any other options to treating my issues? My psychiatrist doesn't have very many more options for me.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mental Health
It has been 3 days!
Answered in 4 days by:
3/29/2018
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

A treatment for these conditions that is known to work long-term without relapse is a new form of therapy known ass Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT). You should ask your psychiatrist to refer you to a psychologist who is experienced and certified to treat with ACT based therapy.

Medications are only a short-term option and will not work for a long time. There will be a reduction of effectiveness when being treated only with medications. The best option would be to combine medications with therapy since this will be most effective.

Take care.

Please let me know if there are any further questions.

Please rate the answer with 5 stars.

Thank you!

Are there any books or workbooks you can recommend ?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Please read the below-linked books since they are very beneficial and will certainly reduce your anxiety:

https://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Acceptance-Workbook-Anxiety-Commitment/

https://www.amazon.com/Things-Might-Terribly-Horribly-Wrong/dp/1572247118

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5 stars.

Thank you!

Dear customer,

Were you able to read the answer?

Do you have any further questions?

Thank you!

Dear customer,
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!