Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Im going through a bad break up and can’t sleep. Can’t take…

Im going through a...

Im going through a bad break up and can’t sleep

Doctor's Assistant: When did insomnia start? Have you used any medication for this?

Can’t take meds. It starts whenever I start thinking about him and not being in the relationship anymore.

Doctor's Assistant: How severe has the insomnia been?

Well I have surges of anger and want to throw things. Then I think I expell enough energy to sleep eventually. I can’t stop obsessing.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I’m in AA

3/24/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** am really sorry to hear about your breakup. It certainly can be one of the most painful things to experience in life.
I wonder if you would consider getting an assessment for depression? The symptoms you list correlate strongly with depression. Difficulty with sleep, agitation and irritability, and consumed thoughts, are the symptoms I'm thinking of. Other symptoms of depression would be affected appetite, poor concentration, feeling sad, or hopeless, feeling like you don't want to do things, affected memory, moodiness, Etc.
So if you are having the above symptoms and they have been pretty consistent for you over a period of two weeks or more, then I think it's probably time you touch base with your primary care doctor to talk about consideration for a med to help. Alternatively, breakups are really hard so if you don't want to go to your doctor or consider medication as of now, then making an appointment with a counselor to discuss all of your feelings and thoughts on this matter as well as how much it has affected your life could be very liberating and a big step and helping you move forward.
I am here to chat more about this if you'd like! You have been through a major loss and losses like this tend to take a toll on our lives in imapctful ways. If it does turn out to be depression, don't worry too much as depression is treatable. However, don't wait too long as depression can get worse if gone untreated. Not being able to sleep is a primary factor in your abilty to cope so you can feel your best so it is important to figure out why this happening and get you the right help.
Leah
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I don’t really want to take medicine unless it’s a last resort. I am in AA and took medications for a long time and it never helped. I am interested in some support groups. I am ok during the day because I am distracted. Some days I’m not ok but most. Do you know where I can find a support group list or maybe something online since my worst times are when I’m alone at night and trying to sleep.
I think a support group is a great idea. Let me see what I can find. Can you give me your zip? It may not be likely we can find a in-person support group but I know there are online support groups for relationship loss.
I'm actually checking on groups that relate to divorce. I did find a couple on relationship loss but they are coupled with divorce and I think this is an appropriate place to find others as they are struggling with similar things. When online, you can either do forums where you read other people's responses and are able to post your own or you can look for things like active online chats which are people in real time talking to one another. Unfortunately, online can be a bit spotty in terms of you finding information you feel like it's helpful to you but it is worth a try as connecting with others is a very valid way of getting support.
https://www.thedivorceangels.com/lets-talk/online-chat/https://www.7cups.com/how-to-get-over-a-breakup/https://www.exaholics.com/https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/copingw-divorce-separation/info
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker