Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Will adding lamictal to Luvox help keep my OCD at bay? No…

Will adding lamictal to...

Will adding lamictal to Luvox help keep my OCD at bay?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

No sleep disturbances but bad anxiety and OCD. Luvox works for 4 weeks, then stops working for 5 weeks, the starts working again for 4 weeks. I feel like my old self when it works - feel happy and content; OCD is practically gone.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Was in Zoloft for 16 years. Then weaned off very slowly because I wanted to become pregnant. Since then. I decided not to become pregnant because of a major relapse after going off Zoloft. This was 5 years ago. Since then tried many ssri' and Luvox worked but only sporadically as mentioned. Dr thinks adding lamictal will keep Luvox working more consistently

3/24/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Hi, my name is***** for writing. I was just reviewing the literature and it does show that lamotrigine is a promising augment to your Luvox in order to make the Luvox more effective to help treat your OCD symptoms that are. As lamotrigine is a medication that is pretty user-friendly due to tolerability and low side effects, it seems that this is worth a try in order to give you more consistent symptom relief for your OCD. In case studies, even though small, it has some promising.
With that being said, OCD is a pretty tricky condition as it is very sensitive to the way you behave in reaction to the obsessions. When you fall into traps of allowing the OCD to dictate the way you behave, that behaviorcan fuel the OCD and make it stick around longer. This reqction is paradoxical because when someone has obsessions, they turally wish ti halt the obsessions and thereby begin to engage in compulsions in order to quiet, fight or flee from the obsessions. That fight or flight is the fuel I'm referring to. It is possible that you are going through periods where you are attending to the OCD and therefore it sticks around and then, where you are ignoring the OCD and so it naturally dissipates. So alongside medication, behavioral therapy called "exposure and response prevention" (a form of CBT) can be extremely effective in getting OCD under control once and for all. OCD still does tend to Wax and Wane but once you know the behavioral strategies for combating it, it is likely you can get a flare up under control much more quickly. So while medications are a good thing to try to squelch the symptoms, siills learned in therapy are often a more lasting tool so you have the capability to manage the OCD through the way you react to it.
I hope this helps and I'm here to talk more if you'd like,
Leah
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for your reply and the information. I have been having OCD regarding my marriage. I'm married to a wonderful man but I keep feeling like I have to leave the marriage due to feeling trapped. When my meds are working, I do not have this feeling at all - in fact if I were to think of it, I find it boring and silly. When my meds are not working,the thought that I need to leave the marriage becomes all consuming and causes a great amount of anxiety. It's a sad conflict because I love my husband but then have these consuming thoughts that I need to leave him in order to alleviate the anxiety of feeling afraid of the commitment. I have seen a psychiatrist for many years and have had second and third opinions. I cognitive therapy, meditation, distraction, exercise and eat well. Again, when I'm well, my husband and I have such a nice wonderful life together. Your response is greatly appreciated because my anxiety is very high over this conflict. Do you think this is OCD? Thank you.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Please let me know if you saw my reply. Thank you very much.
I apologize for the delay. Thank you for replying and for those details. I am really sorry you are suffering with us. I do believe it is OCD and OCD is a very tricking and manipulative condition. It often targets areas of most importance to us and relationship OCD like you have struggled with is one example of OCD that others have experienced.
If you can dig deep and recall all of those strategies you have been taught in therapy, now is the time to pull them out. You need to commit to absolutely no compulsions when it comes to you thinking about your marriage. Don't entertain those questioning thoughts at all. As you know logically, your unease about your marriage is just the OCD throwing you thoughts and since you are paying attention to those thoughts, they are starting to feel more and more valid. They remain untrue. So hang in there, start with recognizing and immediately seizing all compulsions, and hopefully you will begin to see the obsessions fade more and more.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hi Leah,
Over the years, I have done cognitive behavioral therapy, meditation, distraction techniques - just about any technique the doctors have given me. Even hypnosis. I tried these techniques to the best of my ability. I tried all the ssri's. I cannot take anafranil, the tricyclic because it caused severe tachycardia. Been to different doctors. Any other suggestions? It is so deliberating at this point that I can only work from home. I am not functioning the way I do when the meds are working. Thank you. I appreciate any other advice you can give me. Also I have let a lot of time past and realized there is no quick fix. I'm at a lost at this point.

I am sorry you are feeling so down and worried about this. I want to remind you that you have struggled before and come out of it, so try not to be too hopeless about this flare. This too shall pass! I am proud of you for going above and beyond to try so many different techniques for therapy and coping. At this point, I would definitely try the lamotrigine augment and I continue in your quest to find a therapist who is trained in "exposure and response prevention." This is a niche therapy - most people who offer it are specifically trained meaning your average therapist does not know it. And the problem is, other types of therapy actually may make OCD worse as they allow you to focus on th OCD with attempts to "logic" it away which does not work and incidentally which becomes a compulsion. So if you do want to try to gain techniques to manage this in the short and also long-run, ERP is the best be as of now. So again, keep letting the thoughts float in, hold your ground against them. They are meaningless and your goal is to assure that they know that by not allowing yourself to rect in them other than acknowledging that they are there and acknowledging that they are only askew thoughts that have no ability to boss you around.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker