Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

When should I take before getting on an airplane ( 3hr. ride…

Customer Question
When should I take...

When should I take before getting on an airplane ( 3hr. ride ) and how much ? My pills are o.5 MG !!

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes !! My doctor prescribed them for me but the dosage say's 3 times a day and I don't want to do that ---

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mental Health
3/21/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 3 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Hi, thank you for writing. I assume the medication is alprazolam? If so, this medication takes around 20 minutes to take effect and should give you some coverage for acute anxiety for around 4-8 hours. So, depending on how anxious you feel and what part of the airport scene makes you feel most anxious, you want to time your dose to be about 20 minute ahead of the nerves setting in most.
As far as the dose, .5mg sounds a bit high to me. I would start with .25. This is especially advisable if you've never taken this medication before. Remember, these are addictive medications so you want to use caution when taking them liberally. And lean on the lowest effective dose. By this, I mean make sure that you really have acute anxiety that doesn't fade on its own before deciding a dose is needed. However, in general, this medication is perfect for once in awhile acute anxiety prompted by things like travel.
I hope you have a great trip!
Leah

Hi, I just wanted to check in with you since this question is still open due to being unrated. Can I help further? Hope you are having a nice weekend!

-Leah