Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have Parkinson’s and have gained weight. With ALL I have…

I have Parkinson’s and have...
I have Parkinson’s and have gained weight. With ALL I have to worry about I want to lose iweight but can’t. I’m female, 60yrs old, 5’3”, 200lbs and have maintained this weight for three yrs now. How do I get the inspiration when I’m fighting a chronic progressive disease?
3/21/2018
Dr. Sacks
Dr. Sacks, Psychologist

Welcome to JustAnswer. I am an experienced Psychologist and I work with families and people of all ages.

It sounds like you are in a difficult position, but I would like to commend you for wanting to make positive changes in your life- this is not easy and it is a first step in the right direction.

If you have done medical checks and everything is clear, I would start looking at alternative ways to lose weight... you can go the traditional method and diet and exercise- but sometimes this leads to us feeling we are punishing ourselves and our body- and we end us in the same position we were before... or worse. So I am going to approach this slightly differently.

Many health conditions are very much influenced by the way we think about them and many of our thoughts and feeling the impact on our health (e.g. stress, which is purely mental is the leading cause of heart difficulties). Weight loss is very much the same, if we feel very bad about where we are at (weight-wise) this impacts on our health and the number we see on the scale. So what do we do? we have to work from the inside out- before you start to do the action, think the thoughts that will make you feel better. so here are some tips:

- Start by leaving the mirror out of the equation, often looking in the mirror makes us feel unhappy and depressed, so try see if you can give up this habit for a little while. cover them up, move them away... or just stop looking. because when we see something we dont like it tends to make us feel unhappy, which is counter-productive to what we want to feel.

- Now start with the process of loving yourself and your body- this is going to take some getting used to... start by writing (aim for 10) positive things about you and your body (this could be something as simple as you are happy that you can walk, see, smell, touch)- be mindful of these small things that you are grateful to have, bc if you didnt have them, your life would be in a worse place.

- Once you have done that try read it for a few days and feel good about your body and where you are at.

- Now use the power of your mind to see where it is you want to be (we all have the ability to visualize, imagine and feel what it would feel like something else) - see yourself at your goal weight, feel what it would feel like to be there and love yourself as you would love yourself if you were there... you can even write this all down... repeat these things to yourself for a few days and really feel what it would be like.

- Don't complain about your weight, don't talk badly about yourself (e.g. saying "I am so fat") don't even feel bad about it- just don't punish yourself for being where you are at.... because you will not want to make the changes if you feel negative emotion.

- From here it is going to be easier to make some positive changes. Start with water- think about water as a magic elixir that has the power to heal you from the inside out. Water is essential to our bodies and it is really a blessing, if we didn't have it for even 3 days we wouldn't survive. So try and drink as much water as you can manage.

- Now look at some of the foods you eat- again don't be too harsh on yourself, just make small changes. Substitute coconut oil for butter, eat more veggies and protein with each meal, cut out some of the carbs you eat and replace them with healthier versions. Learn to love your body and feed it food that feels good to you. But most importantly - don't beat yourself up if you eat something that you think is "bad", don't feel guilty about eating certain foods... if you are going to feel bad rather don't eat it. And if you do eat it- don't feel bad. These feelings are the most counter-productive to our health and well being. Have a look online for some information on mindful eating- which means being in the moment when eating (not just watching tv and eating mindlessly). Savor your food, be grateful for it and say thank you -realize that it is there to nurture your body and make you feel good.

- Try to move a little every day- start by taking a walk around your neighborhood or a park if you can- try see if you can enlist a friend or family to come with. Perhaps look at recreation centers near you if they have any classes you might enjoy...

- Now do small things for you- pamper yourself by doing things you enjoy- take baths with candles and aromatherapy oils. Put on nice smelling creams, have more fun and fall in love with yourself- you will only ever be you.

I know this is not the most common approach to weight loss- but it is an approach that involves your whole being- not just your body. you may enjoy watching Marisa Peer on Youtube, she has some lovely ideas and insights.

P.S- I know many people have some strong feeling about the subject that may be negative, but I wanted to mention that I have read some great research on the positive effects Medical Marijuana has for people with Parkinson's- it

may be worth exploring. But only if this is something you feel you could benefit from, if it arouses negative emotion- then it is probably not for you.

I wish you all of the very best and good luck on your journey. Please remember to rate my answer, this will not close the question, we can continue to discuss this matter until you are satisfied.

Dr. Sacks
Dr. Sacks, Psychologist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sacks, your suggestions and advice are just what I needed to hear. It's like you read between the lines, considering the few sentences I used to describe an involved situation and your answer showed that. It is hard to be positive because of the sorrow I feel having Parkinson's. I don't have tremor and you would never know I have Parkinson's. But ( I ) know I have PD and that it will never go away and then the will power to lose weight fades. BTW I'm also a Breast Cancer Survivor of 20 years, so I have that looming over me as well, but the PD is now. I am anxious to take your advice and follow your approach. I hope this is the break I've been looking for. Thank You

Thank you very much for your reply and your rating, I really appreciate it! I am glad that my response helped and I know from experience that this gentle approach is so much more helpful to your wellbeing than punishing your body and depriving yourself of food. It sounds like you have been through a lot and I am sure you have come out with some strength of character and determination. Everything we go through shapes us and help us evolve. I wish you only the best now and always!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m just curious where you are located? I live in Maryland.

I am based in the UK :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My response is Wow. Wish you were closer. Funny question, do you ever Skype with patients? Just asking?

Not at the moment, but I am working on a coaching online business. hopefully in the future.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Keep me in mind or on your waiting list :)
Dr. Sacks
Dr. Sacks
Dr. Sacks, Psychologist