Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Leah still having same problem with breathing I’m always…

Hi Leah still having same...
Hi Leah still having same problem with breathing I’m always aware of my breathing that is hard will I ever be able to sit down and feel like my breathing is ok will the Paxil help for that I always feel like my breathing is off doesn’t come natrual will this ever pass feel like I’m never gonna get over this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t remember what it feels to breath normally I’m scared that even when I’m not having hard time breathing I’ll always feel like my breathing is not enough and there will never be end to this problem that’s my biggest fear
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve taken Paxil before and always worked for me now it’s been 8 eeeks and I’m still having same problem will it help me with this issue I take 20 mg a day
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why do you think Paxil is not helping me this time around
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for requesting me. I am sorry you are still struggling with this. Like we talked about before, Paxil is not a magic pill because it cannot shut off your thoughts. You have a disorder called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and you are likely going to need to seek a treatment called Exposure and Response Prevention because right now, your behavior is causing the worry about breathing to remain. As long as you continue to behave in ways that focus on your fears, the Paxil is not going to be enough to help. I don't mean to discourage you but it is important you really understand that you need to tackle OCD from a behavioral standpoint, not just with medication. Medication can help some, but it is not likely to be the only treatment you need to get past this and as you know, it isn't working right now. This is especially true give your extreme worry. Because you are so worried, your attention to your breathing and thinking about if it will ever be normal again is trapping you in a cycle where the OCD is going to continue to stick around regardless of the Paxil.

At this point, if you want to get past this, you need o seek out a therapist trained in OCD who offers a type of especilize fterap called Exposure And Response Prevention. If you give me your location, I can see if I can locate some options for you.

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve never had this kind of problem where I need to stop honking about something before I felt physical discomfort like stomach ache muscular tension pressure around head and Paxil worked to relax me I’m not sur
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think I’ll ever pass this if I go with a therapist I’m terrified that nothing will work

OCd can come out of nowhere. The symptoms and experience you are having now is different then the symptoms you used to have. Paxil can temper anxiety some but again, it isn't enough to overpower unchecked compulsions typically seen when OCD is a it's worst.

I fele very confident you can get past this with the help of a therapist.

But not just any therapist. They have to be trained in managing OCD.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you had other cases like this that have gotten bette I’m so scared right now that nothing will help me it’s ruining my life
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have other people seen a therapist and gotten over this have you had other cases like me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why am I so terrified of this and think my breathing is never enough is it sariton in my brain
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I stop thinking about my breathing it always feels uncomfortable because it’s always on back of my mind
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is anyone gonna answer my question
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still haven’t gotten an answer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can u answer my questions Leah if anyone has had this and recoverd
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker