Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have noticed that at times if I do something extra hard in…

I have noticed that at...
I have noticed that at times if I do something extra hard in exercise or just work out harder than normal it can induce a panic attack. I am fine during the work out it is afterward anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes after I feel like I do when having a panic attack. Body heats up and I feel sort of out of my body. No chest pain, and my heart rate returns to normal during all this so I am hoping it is not something physical. Brisk walking usually is okay it is when I get really active, lift weights, or something intense. I am very sensitive to physical symptoms and tend to over analyze my body and normal sensations. I have a physical with my doctor next week. I have a normal heart as I had an echo/stress in my 20's. I also did a halter monitor 2 years ago because of skipped heart beats that I felt. All tests and blood work has been normal so far.
3/19/2018
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

If you have anxiety, it is normal to feel panicky after strenuous exercise. This is because the activity raises your heart rate and brings on bodily symptoms that are close to the symptoms of a panic attack. For example, when you have a panic attack, your heart rate increases in reaction to the increase in adrenaline in your body. When you exercise, especially when you push yourself, your adrenaline is increased and your heart rate naturally increases as well. If you don't suffer with panic attacks, you may note the increase in heart rate as a normal response. But when you are dealing with anxiety and panic, the increase in heart rate triggers fear and anxiety, making it easier to experience a panic attack.

You mentioned that you have an appointment for a check up with your doctor next week. That is a great first step. Although what you are experiencing is most likely an anxiety reaction, you still want to rule out any possible physical cause just to be sure. And you want to get that nagging voice out of your head that tells you this could be something serious. It is very common for people who have anxiety to have that fear in the back of their minds because anxiety and panic are so physical in nature. Seeing your doctor helps quiet that voice so you can focus on recovering from anxiety.

You did not mention if you are in treatment of any kind for the anxiety and panic attacks, but therapy is the best treatment to overcome anxiety. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/. It is helpful to search for a therapist who has experience with anxiety.

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms if you are struggling daily to cope and need something to help until therapy progresses.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You may also want to try online or in person anxiety groups. Be careful to find ones that talk about how to recover rather than repeat symptoms and anxiety producing scenarios. You want to feel better and move forward towards recovery and not fuel your anxiety.

I hope this has helped you,
MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist
Thank you!

You're welcome! My best to you!

Take care,

MaryAnn