Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

About three days back I started getting strong anxiety over…

Customer Question
About three days back I...
About three days back I started getting strong anxiety over not having a job and then when I did go for an interview all the interviewer was concerned with if I could do the job , I reassured this person that I could do the job. It didn't matter as he had already made his mind up about me. I'm about to turn 51 this month and that has been weighing on me. I'm the type of person that can normally take whatever comes at me and solve the problem but now I can't sleep at night I'm driving my family crazy . I just graduated from college , I went back thinking I was bettering my life not so sure I made the right decision.l do not which way to turn can you please help.and thank you. It just started about four days ago as of today I had a bad attack And has been going from there , Things that help getting away from my house and all the stress that is related with it. What makes it worse the thought laying down and going to sleep and just thought of being alone.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
3/17/2018
Mental Health Professional: ASacks, Psychologist replied 4 months ago
ASacks
ASacks, Psychologist

Welcome to JustAnswer. I am an experienced Psychologist and I work with families and people of all ages. I am reviewing your question now and will be right back with a response for you.

It sounds like you are dealing with some difficult feelings right now. I am sure this has not been easy and you need to know that your feelings are normal and valid.

As you would suspect- anxiety is just a feeling and if you had to associate it with a specific feeling it would probably be fear. Let’s spend a few minutes talking about the origins of anxiety (Please have a quick read of the PDF I have attached – it should only take a minute or two).

This should have clarified what anxiety is and where it comes from. Now that we have established what it is the best way to approach this is to consider feelings, thoughts and actions as these are the garments that make up our being.

We are taught that feelings are like visitors that come and go as they please and we have no control over them (this is very much built into our society). However, the opposite is true – we have full control over our feelings. We are taught to fight against the negative with all our might, but again this can be counter-intuitive. Instead, see feelings as what they really are-not good or bad, but rather guidance. Isn’t that wonderful you have a built-in guidance system like your own GPS.

This guidance helps you know if your feelings are taking you closer to what you want or further away. If you are feeling good, you know you are on the right path. If you are feeling bad you are taking yourself further away from what you want.

We have also come to think that thoughts are inevitable. And that when we have a problem it is our job to think about it until the problem is solved (we try and wrestle the problem to the ground). But, this seldom helps because the more we think a thought the more we focus on it and the more the problem grows.

It seems like you are experiencing the feeling of anxiety associated with your work. Anxiety is a feeling that is closely associated with fear and worry and if left to its own devices can take root in the mind and make a home there… let’s not let it!

Anxiety actually served a very adaptive role in human history and it can be traced back to our ancestors. Anxiety served to warn us of imminent physical danger and to activate the flight or fight mechanism (just like in the pdf I attached). However, today many people have thoughts that provoke the same levels of fear as imminent physical danger and this activates within us the flight or fight mechanism – except there is no danger so the feelings linger inside causing chaos. It's important to note that anxiety is focusing too much on the future and not enough on the present.

So here are some tips that can help you take back control:

* Start a meditation practice: This will help elevate negative thinking and help you take back control of your brain. Take 10 minutes every day to focus on your breathing or a sound around you. You can also listen to a guided meditation… I really like the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpUNAFHgxM

* Read up on mindfulness- that is focusing in on the present moment. This is a proven strategy to help reduce anxiety and cope with negative feelings. Mindfulness will help you live more fully in the moment. The now is all you have at your disposal and spending it on “what if’s” is robbing you of the joy that you can experience. When you find yourself thinking a negative thought catch it and praise yourself for noticing it… now you have an opportunity to use it.

The best way to live in the now is to savor the moment… if you are with your family feel the love you feel and the joy of having them at your side. If you are eating delicious food, take a moment and acknowledge the beauty of that and the blessing that food really is. If you smell something delicious stop to savor it. Take it a step further and acknowledge these things out loud- tell the person you are with they are great, say thank you for the food and revel in the feeling you inspire in them.

* Cultivate a positive mindset… start by writing down 3 things you are grateful for every day. Start off your day with thanks (be thankful for your bed, your home, your family, your health, your family’s health). Don’t listen to depressing news, don’t complain, don’t chat with people who make you feel bad… you will see your life turn around. Realize that every topic is really two topics- that which is wanted and that which is not. We often think we are focused on the good when we say “I don’t want to be sick” but the mind still picks up the word sick. Rather say “I want to be healthy”, “I want to see myself in perfect health and happiness”. You will see your life change right before your eyes.

* Externalize the worry/ anxiety: never say “I am just an anxious person”, “I am always anxious and there is nothing I can do about it” or “I don’t know what to do with my anxiety” – it is not your anxiety it is just something you are experiencing rather say “sometimes I feel a feeling of anxiety… but I am learning to control it and I know I can get better at this”

* Use CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) Techniques to catch yourself when thinking anxiety provoking thoughts. This one is called be a thought detective:

Remember, worry is the brain's way of protecting us from danger. To make sure we're really paying attention, the mind often exaggerates the object of the worry (e.g., mistaking a stick for a snake). Try a method we call the 3Cs:

ü Catch your thoughts: Imagine every thought you have floats above your head in a bubble (like what you see in comic strips). Now, catch one of the worried thoughts like "Im scared I am getting sick."

ü Collect evidence: Next, collect evidence to support or negate this thought. Do not make judgments about what to worry about based only on feelings. Feelings are not facts. (Supporting evidence: "I am not feeling so well." Negating evidence: "this happened last week and I was fine.")

ü Challenge your thoughts: Have a debate with yourself and convince ourself you are doing great.

* There are brilliant teachers of well-being out there and the information is so easily accessible. Try reading the following books with an open mind- they have the potential to be life-changing:

-Change your thoughts, change your life by Wayne Dyer

-Ask and it is Given by Esther Hicks

-The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

* My last piece of advice is: have compassion for yourself… don’t be too hard on yourself and realize that no matter what the things that happen to you shape you in positive ways. You are always on the right path because everything is contributing to your growth and development.

Now that we have approached the anxiety element of your question. I want to chat about the job element. Bettering yourself is never a bad choice- even if it just means doing something that makes you feel better about your skills and knowledge. When entering an interview environment you have to know that you are worthy of any job that you want and the best way you can project this to others is through your belief in this fact- you can expect others to trust in your ability if you don't. so here are a few tips before entering an interview:

- research how to answer interview questions- there is so much help online

-use the wonderful power of your mind to pave the way for good things to happen to you. visualise the interview going well, see yourself answering with confidence, see the interviewer being fair and understanding.

- change your mindset: know that you are worthy of the best job possible. I am sure you don't just want any job, you want one that is also a great environment and fulfilling. so when you approach an interview don't see it only as them deciding if you are worthy of the job, but also of you decide if this is the right place for you.

- right before going in- use power posing. you can see a youtube video all about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc

- read up on body language.

- know that you can!

I wish you the best of luck with everyhing... you are on the right track!

Please remember to rate my answer- this will not end our conversation- we can continue until you are satisfied!

Thank you very much for your answer. How can I better cope with the anxiety and work towards getting rid of it? Its taking a severe toll on my family as well as myself.

have a look at some of the tips above including the meditation, mindfullness and CBT techniques. these are great ways to cope with anxiety

Thank you. The main part I am concerned about though is being alone. I am fine as long as I am with people. Any time I am alone or know I'm going to be alone is when the anxiety starts.
Mental Health Professional: ASacks, Psychologist replied 3 months ago

Its tough sometimes, but being alone gives you the opportunity to practice these skills and develop the strength to cope. I wish I could give you a magic formula that will take it away- but it requires some work in shifting your focus and developing coping mechanisms. I find meditations (which will help your mind grow stronger) and mindfulness to be the most effective tools. However, you can use a distraction to help you in situations where you are alone... try doing things that distract you from your thoughts - things you like and that make you feel good.

Many times we think that we need to solve our problems and wrestle them to the ground by thinking about them. However, the opposite is true- distraction is as effective a method and often the solution will come to you more easily.

Just checking in... how have things been going?