Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What are the differences between speaking quickly and

pressured speech?Can mania last for...
What are the differences between speaking quickly and pressured speech?Can mania last for only a few days?Isn’t it typical for people in shock to speak more quickly?
Answered in 2 days by:
3/19/2018
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello there and thank you for reaching out to Just Answer, I will answer each of your questions separately on a different thread.

1). Pressured Speech appears very differently than a person who is simply talking quickly in the following ways. Pressured speech is commonly seen in people with bipolar disorder. When you have pressured speech, you have an extreme need to share your thoughts, ideas, or comments. It’s part of mania. The speech will come out rapidly, and it does not stop at appropriate intervals. It’s difficult to understand what’s being said during pressured speech. It’s also not possible to carry on a conversation because the person with pressured speech will not stop long enough for another person to speak.

There are several symptoms to watch for in pressured speech. These symptoms include:

• rapid speech that is difficult to understand
  • speech that is louder than appropriate
  • inability to stop speaking to allow others to interject their thoughts
  • speech that occurs at inappropriate times at work, home, or school
  • an urgency to say what you are thinking
  • unclear thought process when speaking
  • speaking numerous ideas at once that do not connect
  • including rhymes or jokes in the speech
  • difficulty speaking your thoughts because they are coming too fast

When talking to someone with pressured speech, you may not be able to stop them from talking or get them to speak at a slower rate. A pressured speech episode may continue for more than an hour.

2). Yes, mania can last for hours, days, weeks or even months.

3). Again, anxiety can be triggered by shock that can cause the person to talk more quickly, but in general this is not really a symptom of shock. Pressured speech is very distinct as I described above. I hope I have answered your questions. Please let me know if I can help further. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

But, mania can’t last for only a few minutes, correct?
Anxiety triggered by shock is not indicative of a psychiatric problem, correct? For example, if someone was sexually assaulted and was in a state of shock following the assault, the anxiety displayed following the assault is not an indication of an underlying psychiatric problem, correct?

Rapid cycling bipolar could cause very brief moments of mania followed by depression. The mood swings can occur very rapidly but this is not as common. And no anxiety triggered by shock is not indicative of a psychiatric problem in itself. The trauma/shock could lead to a mental health issue such as PTSD.

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Phone call session started