Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

How do I know I need a Psychiatrist? I've been going through…

How do I know I...
How do I know I need a Psychiatrist? I've been going through emotional issues for a few years now. At times I feel depressed or just sad. I have thought about calling a Psychiatrist, but for some reason, am very nervous to do so, maybe I feel I need to be depressed to the point where I can't even get out of bed, which is not my case. I work, go about daily activities, but I know I am not happy. I know I have memories that I will not face, when I start to, I will start thinking of something else to occupy my mind. I am not suicidal, but at times I wish I were dead, but am to scared to actually try to attempt to end my life. So, do I need a Psychiatrist or just some sort of therapist? Why would I choose one over the other, aside from the medication part of it? Thank you for any help.
3/15/2018
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello! Welcome to justanswer. Please give me a moment as I review your question.
Actually, there is a place for both. A god Psychiatrist would suggest you try therapy before medication, unless your mental illness is extreme or unbearable. Often, simply talking about the root causes of our depression will help us get past it. Sometimes, there are some processes that we can try that will help us see through the darkness. Yet there are times we try everything and just cannot shakecthe sadness. In those cases, it might be a good idea to try medication, ie a psychiatrist. The problem with starting with medication is it can cover the root cause of the depression. Say your difficulty is processing a loss. Of course, an antidepressant might very well make you feel better, but by doing so, rob you of the motivation or opportunity to process that loss. Does all that make sense?
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
it makes sense. Thank you