Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

You online today?

Hi you online today?...
Hi you online today?
3/14/2018
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hi Lucy! I'll be here for a bit. What's going on?

MaryAnn

Hi marryann..im starting to feel a tad bit better...just going over everything really to get what's going into perspective...i notice when I go over my past i kinda look at every memory under the impression on how it would of felt like...and incoprate this into real memories....is this where it gets stuck in terms of feeling real

I'm glad you are starting to feel better!

Yes, most likely going over memories like you describe would make them seem more real. As we talked about before, memories are unreliable. And if you are going over what you can remember from the past, it is likely the memories are not as accurate as you feel they are. Then incorporating them into real memories might make what you do recall highly suggestive. In other words, you may recall something and because of the influence of the OCD, the memory gets "created" through OCD and becomes something that makes you feel anxious. Then that gets incorporated into a real memory, making your memories seem much more real. There may also be a lot of emotion, especially anxiety, included in the memory, making it seem even more real.

MaryAnn

Thank you marryann...yeah it's sort of like I think of what it would of look liked in my head at that time,imagining I suppose...and then I become adiment 'yep must of been that way' is that how ocd works

You're welcome!

The OCD symptoms can influence your thoughts and memories in the way you describe. If you start off thinking about what a past event would have looked like at the time, it is very easy to have that memory become distorted presently with or without OCD, but especially with OCD. OCD is going to try to convince you that there is more to any past event than there was. And as we mentioned, memory is already so unreliable on it's own. So any recall is going to be vague at best. Add to that the influence of OCD, and it's going to be easy to see that memory become something that never really occurred.

MaryAnn

I suppose in a way ocd is one of the factors that influence memory distortion

Yes, OCD can influence memory. While you will have memories that are naturally distorted because of how memory works, the OCD can add to that, convincing you that there is something there in the past that happened and you need to feel anxious about it.

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist
Thank you ever so much marryann.

You are so welcome! Anytime!

Take care,

MaryAnn