Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

We live in Massachusetts and my son has suffered from OCD,

eating disorder, and PTSD for...
We live in Massachusetts and my son has suffered from OCD, eating disorder, and PTSD for 10 years. We have spent thousands of out of pocket expenses on treatment and therapy, he is currently on Connector Care through Tufts. He lives with my husband (70) and I (53) and we have a Behavioral Therapist specializing in OCD come to the house for family therapy once per week. Jackson is taking online classes right now and is about a year away from a Bachelors Degree. The goal is for him to live alone in an apartment . In Massachusetts affordable housing seems to be limited to families or employed people. What are the first steps for a person to get assistance for a Mental Health Disability?
Answered in 2 days by:
3/15/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** first thing I want you guys to do is to get towards a resource that helps support people with disabilities toi live independently. because you mentioned Tufts, I presumed you were near to the boston area and here s one service agency i found that has a mission to support people with a variety of disabilities to be as independent as possible. I would use them as a starting point to think through what life may look life for Jackson in terms of employability, income, living arrangements, tc. http://bostoncil.org/ And yes, affordable living is highly competitive and in short supply everywhere so the trick here is to get on as many waitlists as possible and wait for Jackson's opportunity to arrive.

Now, if your question pertained to consideration of SSD (Social Security Disability), Jacson unfortunately wouldn't qualify for that regardless of his level of disbaility because he does not have enouh work cerdits however, he may qualify for an income based program called SSI which could provide limited financial support. http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/blog/2010/03/what-if-i-dont-have-enough-wor.html

Hope this helps you get started in on your path to help Jackson to live his life to the fullest level of independence!

-Leah

Hi, just looping back since this question is still open due to being unrated. Can I help further? Just let me know!

Thanks,

Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker