Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I always think about my breathing and think it’s never

I always think about...

I always think about my breathing and think it’s never enough I always feel like I have shortness of breath do antidepressants help to stop thinking about my breathing and stop me from feeling like my breathing is off do meds hep for this

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been taking the antidepressant? Any recent changes in dosage?

I’ve been on them for 8 weeks I just had a baby four weeks I started it when I was 34 weeks pregnant afte I gave birth it became a lot worst I take 20 mig paxil

Doctor's Assistant: How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?

No my only issue is I can’t stop thinking about my breathing and causes me to have shortness of breath

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

No I just had a baby wander if hormones have anything to do with me not getting better I’ve taken Paxil before and it’s alwaye worker

3/13/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** on your new addition! I am sorry you are struggling with this plight of being overly focused on your body's functioning. This obsession over focusing on your breathing will likely all under OCD. OCD is characterized by getting stuck on a thought or concept and then behaving in response by trying to stop the thought or prove it wrong. Those n"compulsive" reactions exacerbate the original obsession because the sheer attention to the obsession is like fuel allowing it to be stronger and more persistent.

To answer your question, yes, some antidepressants including Paxil are used to help treat OCD. However, they often can take up to a year of ongoing use to show max benefit and commonly. higher doses are needed to affect the obsession. So in your case, I would stick with th Paxil and maybe even ask your doctor to increase the dose, assuming breastfeeding is taken into account (if you are) and also assuming you have tolerated the Paxil well so far. Hopefully, at the right dose, over time you will begin to feel better.

With that being said, OCD often requires the help of a mental health professional and engagement a type of therapy called "exposure and response prevention". (ERP) helps you put an ens o the compulsive responses you are doing now, which, like I said above, are actually making your obsession worse not better. Of course, your goal is to stop thinking about your breath but your active struggle against the thoughts are exactly why you can't stop thinking about it. So a trained ERp therapist can help you stop the struggle, teaching you to effectively ignore your thoughts and roll with the anxiety they cause rather than constantly battle with them.

https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/treatment/erp/

I hope this helps and am here if you want to chat further!~

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think the Paxil will eventually kick in more I’ve been on it for 8 weeks now and higher dose would help the thing is even when I breath normally my brain says there is something wrong I don’t know how to swtisfy my brain so it feels like my breathing is fine will the Paxil help for that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m afraid this will never go away have u had patented that have been healed from this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I always think my breathing is never enough this is what I’m afraid of am I gonna think like this will Paxil help for this

The Paxil may help you get away from thinking about your breath as often but it isn't going to be a magic fix. The 20mg may show some benefit over the next few weeks but a higher dose may still be needed and OCD typically takes longer to treat with these medications. At this point, the reason your brain is focusing on breathing is because you have accidentally "trained it to worry" by paying attention to the thoughts and worries your brain is throwing at you. Things can and will eventually get back to normal - OCd teds to wax and wane ad can flare up during times of stres si.e having a baby :) but if you really want to get over this more quickly and have a better shot at avoiding OCD flares in the future, you should consider seeing a mental health specialist who treats OCD in addition to using the Paxil.

So yes, Paxil is one med that helps treat this condition but the behavioral aspect may need addressing and for that, you should find a therapist trained in ERP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will the Paxil help the brain to think my breathing is ok and think it’s not enough
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You think my changing hormones are making the Paxil work slower
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I always Think how I’m breathing and I’m scared that even when my breathing is normal my brain will say it’s not enough that is my biggest fear my life will never be the same will this ever go away

I think the amount of stress you are under, physically and emotionally, is going to give the Paxil a run for it's money however, the Paxil is affecting chemicals in your brain so it should be starting to show some benefit in the near future. Your hormones should not affect your Paxil effect.

The Paxil is classified as an "antiobsessional" so yes, it should help with your uncontrolled thoughts about your breathing. If it isn't, it either hasn't had time to work or may not be a high enough dose. bit again, it shouldn't be expected to work like magic ceasing completely all your worries.

What i hear is that yo are allowing your worries regarding breathing and your future to take on a life of their own. If you continue to pay attention to these worries, they will stick around. Start working on ignoring the thoughts hen they come rather than focusing on how to make them stop. Truth is, no med or no person has complete control over the things we think about. When we think of something not worth our effort, we need to just let that thought slip on by rather than waste energy and resources wondering why it cam eor how to make it stay away. So keep ignoring these thoughts, shrugging them off as untrue and inconsequential. No thought can make you stop breathing so don;t give your thoughts so much credit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just wanna know if I’ll ever be able to think about my breathing and be satisfied not thaink something is wrong I’ll increase my med to 30 mg

Yes. The sooner yo stop paying attention to your worries, the sooner the worries will fade. OCD commonly comes and goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do people recover from this kind of obsession

Yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to first or second question?

Yes. people recover from this type of obsession. However, it can take time and treatment with medications and therapy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How about my first qu action will I ever think my breathing is normal and stop anylyzing it

I did answer that above. All of this is OCD. When you get the OCD treated and better controlled, that will allow you to breathe normally without worrying.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With the help of Paxil I’ll up my dose to 30mg my family dr suggested that last time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank u so much for your time very helpful and you put my mind at ease

Upping the dose is a good idea so follow our doctors lead. I don't expect that the dose change will suddenly stop your OCD symptoms., but it may help some.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you think time will help it the longer I’m on it the more it will help

You are welcome. I am sorry i sounded repetitive but let me be clear - you can and will feel better but OICD can be quite tricky to fight on your own and meds sometimes just aren't enough. Start right away ignoring those thoughts!! With continued acceptance that the thoughts are meaningless and don't signal anything to worry about, your brain will lose interest. So, stop any compulsions yo have to attend to the worries in anyway!! you can do this and you will get past this :)

And yes, meds like Paxil help most for OCD after someone has been on them for a full year. so be patient but get to work on halting those compulsions!

Enjoy that baby :)

-L

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your advice !! Very helpful
You are welcome. I hope you feel your best very soon!
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker