Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I wanted to determine the signs and how to get help with…

I wanted to determine...

I wanted to determine the signs and how to get help with bipolar disorder

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Sometimes i get upset over things that are not that serious no medical history

3/13/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hello, thank you for writing. My name is***** get a diagnosis of Bipolar, one must experience dramatic and intense changes in mood. The "high highs" ae referred to as mania or hypomania while the "low lows" are points deep depression. To be Bipolar, a person tends to cycle between periods of mania, depression and stability.

Manic episodes are characterized by extreme euphoria, immense energy, diminished need for sleep, agiation, feelings of increased self-worth, flight of ideas(distractibility), fast speech and thoughts, pacing, and often, a big increase in risk-taking and impulsivity. People who are experiencing mania or hypomania tend to feel their best with vast energy and creativity, and a carefree type of attitude where they feel themselves to be invincible. To fit criteria fr Bipolar, a manic episode has to occur a least 1 time in a year and last for 1 week or longer.

After mania, a person with bipolar disorder may find themselves feeling very down. Their boundless energy has vanished and instead, they feel lethargic, sad, hopeless, angry, worthless, agitated, indecisive and disengaged from life. They stop engaging in activities they normally ind pleasurable Depression phase can last days to weeks and sometime carry on for longer but to qualify as bipolar, it has to last everyday for at least two weeks. . Often,a depression phase may break and give way to mania.

So to be bipolar, one has to meet criteria for one manic (or mild manic) episode and at least one depressive episode, and these episodes can't be otherwise explained by a medical illness or substance use. It is the dramatic shift in mood with a very big range that leads to this diagnosis. In order to get help, a person contemplating if they are bipolar should seek out an appointment with a psychiatrist for evaluation. There are lots of good medications and combinsiona of medications used to help keep one;'s mood stable so as to avoid the big shifts. One note of caution (and reason why professional assessment is needed) - a person with suspected bipolar disorder should not be treated with only an antidepressant ans while doing so can treat the depression phase, it can easily put a manic episode. Thus, medication treatments have to be catered to treating both the depression AND the mania. SAhain, a psychiatrists is needed to hep ensure the right medications are prescribed based on symptoms. http://www.psychologytoday.com/us/psychiatrists

Lastly, a mental health counselor or therapist can also be very helpful to someone struggling with any type of mental illness. They can help a person talk through their condition so they understand it, but can also help teach coping strategies so a person can live their life to the fullest and reduce the risk that their thoughts, feelings and behaviors contribute negatively to their being. You can consider finding a therapist who helps treat bipolar disorder here... https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

I hope this helps!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker