Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a lot of problem leaving me house or getting a job…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a lot of problem leaving me house or getting a job and even friends because of my anxiety. I can’t explain why. I don’t think I care that they are judging me I am just terrified to be near them. The best I have ever been was when. I saw a psych named butros that prescribed me 3 1 mg a day. Unfortunately he was far away from me and I was only able to go to him twice because nobody would drive me that far. I have had it my whole life, or since I was 5 that I can remember.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I quit wanting be be around new people when I was 5. My brother and sister died that year in a house fire. I didn’t get real panic attacks until I was ten. The guidance counselor I saw said I had a delayed reaction to their passing. The things that make it worse is having to call people I don’t know or go somewhere alone. I would arrive at Dr. Butros’ office and just start balling because of the stress of being there. Staying at home and never going anywhere and my animals help me on a daily basis when I’m at home. But nobody I know understands why I can’t just buck up and go and do stuff. It’s like there is a huge horrible wall I can’t climb over.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I had a C section when in 2006. My father died at 61 from a heart attack because I think his stress from schizophrenia and high blood pressure and manic depression. My mom just has hypothyroid

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
3/13/2018
Mental Health Professional: Camille-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Camille-Mod
I'm Camille and I'm a moderator for this topic. While I am not trying to discourage you from getting help from our Experts, I do want you to know that at this time we do not offer prescription service of any kind, nor can we offer Doctor's excuses or notes. Experts can not direct you to a specific Physician for any kind of treatment or services which includes requests for Doctors that can/will write certain medication prescriptions for you as this is handled on a case by case basis by the individual Physicians you may choose for your hands-on care.
Please let me know if you want to continue or cancel your question. I'm happy to further assist you.
Best,
Camille - Moderator
I was just hoping you had some advice on what I could do. I can’t call people because of my problem and therefore my limits are emailing and almost no doctors do emails, which you would think they would these days.
 replied 4 months ago
Hi there,
Thank you for clarifying. I am actively looking for an Expert to assist you. Thank you for your continued patience :-)
Camille
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist replied 4 months ago
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

You mentioned that you saw a mental health professional for medications and that you saw a guidance counselor as well. It is unclear if you have received a diagnosis, but with seeing a mental health professional for medications, it is likely one was made and maybe not communicated to you. It helps to know what your diagnosis is so you can get the right treatment. Much like when you go to the doctor for something like stomach pain, you need to know what the diagnosis is so the right treatment can be followed.

However, from what you are describing, there are two possibilities here. One is that you have Agoraphobia which is a fear of being outside and having a panic attack or anxiety. It may have been triggered by all the trauma you have gone through in your life, including many losses.

You may also have PTSD. It is possible to have Agoraphobia and PTSD or have just one. Typically, PTSD will not cause a fear of being outside your home, but it is possible from the trauma you went through, you may feel safer inside than outside.

It is good you have reached out for help through Dr. Butro and on line here. Just the fact that you are reaching out is a very positive sign. Just wanting to recover means you have already taken huge steps to feeling better.

You mentioned the loss of your brother and sister in a fire when you were 5 years old. That is very important to note because losing your siblings as a child can cause trauma, especially if you did not receive therapy at the time to help you work through your trauma. Also, you mentioned that your father had Manic depression and Schizophrenia. Both are debilitating diagnoses and hard on family members to cope with. So you have suffered through many losses that not only would cause grief, but they may cause trauma that triggers anxiety.

Understanding anxiety in general can help you to recover. And knowing how anxiety affects you and what can be done to help gives you some direction and control over your anxiety. Here is how anxiety works:

When you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline cause you to feel the physical symptoms that are common with anxiety. It is much like after you have had a bad scare except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel. And because your thoughts are probably always on alert, so is your body. This may be why you feel fear around going outside. You experience symptoms of anxiety when you try. For example, you may experience a sudden scare if someone jumps out at you unexpectedly. Your heart will race, your legs weaken and your senses will heighten. If you don't have anxiety, you will simply acknowledged that you were caught off guard and calm down. But with anxiety, these symptoms as well as others stay with you when you try to go outside.

While seeing a therapist is the best treatment for anxiety and/or Agoraphobia, you mentioned that it is difficult for you to go out or even find someone to help you. Because of that, you may want to try therapy on line. With the availability of therapy on line becoming increasingly common, you may be able to find someone to help you without having to leave home.

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms if you are struggling daily to cope and need something to help until therapy progresses.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you. You may also want to try online or in person anxiety groups. Be careful to find ones that talk about how to recover rather than repeat symptoms and anxiety producing scenarios. You want to feel better and move forward towards recovery and not fuel your anxiety.

I hope this has helped you,
MaryAnn

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Hello, I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. If you are satisfied with the answer, please consider a positive rating. It does not cost extra to rate. Thank you!

MaryAnn