Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What is known about releasing anger? I tend to bottle it up…

What is known about releasing...
What is known about releasing anger? I tend to bottle it up which is not good. My adult son tends to get violent or destructive which is also not good. I think sometimes expressing anger just increases the anger which is also not good. Thanks.
3/12/2018
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, you are correct. Both of you seem to have unhealthy anger habits. I hope I can help you through this difficulty. Please give a moment as I develop my response. Thank you.
Anger in and of itself is not bad. It’s the faulty processing of it that ends up causing us problems.Anger is simply an intense emotion caused by a perceived wrong. In the correct circumstances this not only Ok, it is good.Two methods of processing anger that end up causing problems are the two you mentioned. One way is to stifle it or store it in our memory. This is similar to storing air In a balloon. This works for a while, but eventually the balloons will explode. The other process is to act on it immediately, releasing anger indiscriminately. Basically a living mine field, in which every step others take is risking setting off an explosion.Following is a healthy method of processing your anger:
Anger:3 Steps to Overcoming Anger:•Retreat from the Intensity. Don’t react , but take a mental break. Give yourself a split second at least to think about it•Rethink Your Perception. Maybe you are looking at it wrong. At least tho k it through before responding.•Respond; Never React. Don’t do what comes to your mind d first. Think about it first.Does that make sense? Pleas ask any questions. I want to help you.
We have a lot of words to describe emotions: anger, hate, resentment, frustration, jealousy, envy, etc. Is there a smaller set of basic emotions that are hard-wired into us?
Actually, there are only three actual emotions. They are anger, fear, and sadness. All other emotions are simply variations on those basic three emotions. Back to the balloon illustration, the cause of current emotional problems is a build up of emotions over a lifetime. If we can process our past negative emotions we help ourselves deal with current negative emotions..
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)