Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I’m currently undergoing ECT for severe depression. My

Customer Question
Hello, I’m currently undergoing ECT for...
I’m currently undergoing ECT for severe depression. My initial response was positive. I feltwonderful. Now, after 2 weeks of maintenance, I’m slipping back and am scheduled to begin accute tomorrow. I smoked some marijuana last week and I’m wondering if this could be the cause of my relapse. Needless to say, I’ll be laying off the pot completely as we proceed.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
3/12/2018
Mental Health Professional: ASacks, Psychologist replied 4 months ago
ASacks
ASacks, Psychologist

Welcome to JustAnswers. My name is***** little bit about me… I am a psychologist and have been practicing for the last five years in private practice and in a community setting. I work with families and people of all ages. I am also a registered life coach and solution-focused therapist. I am passionate about helping people and finding solutions, not growing problems. I believe that the mind is a very powerful tool and can be used to achieve any outcome in life-positive thoughts lead to a positive life. I am here to help you with your question.

Where do I find an answer to my questions?

It's always good to find something that works well for you. I am glad you had two weeks of feeling wonderful.

Marijuana affects different people in different ways. For some, it may increase depression and anxiety, as it enhances feelings that you may be feeling already. other find it offers a good reprieve. I am inclined to think that this is dependent upon your mental state, environment, feelings and thoughts at the time of smoking. Since you feel that it was adverse for you- I would trust your own inner guidance and what it is telling you and let it go for a little while.

You deserve to lead a happy life and I hope that your chosen path takes you to where you want to be!

Not much help.

I apologize if we didn't reach the place you wanted to reach. let me know a little more about the information you were seeking. from your question, it seemed like you were asking if Marijuana could have been the cause of your relapse, as I said Marijuana can increase feelings of depression and anxiety and therefore may be the reason for your relapse. It would be hard to determine this fact, as there are many reasons that this type of therapy may have causes relapse including the circumstances you are contending with on a day to day basis, your stress level and your own management of your feelings.

I am happy to continue the chat and discuss further if you give me a bit more on the specific information you are looking for.

Alternatively, I am happy to opt out and there may be another expert better able to answer your question. it is up to you, we are all here to help!

I’d like to know if there are other possible reasons for the tx to just stop working. I underwent a full course of unilateral ECT and am now on maintenance. Tomorrow, they’re going to try bilateral tx. Is this safe? I guess I’m looking for some hope as I’m losing confidence in this method.

I apologize but I don't think i can help you with your question. I am not familiar enough with this form of therapy. I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you.

Thank you for your response. I think to be on the safe side I’ll refrain from smoking until the full course is done. It seems to me smoking marijuana is a factor that cannot be measured.