Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I’ve been on Pristiq 50 mg for about 2 months for depression…

I’ve been on Pristiq...

I’ve been on Pristiq 50 mg for about 2 months for depression and panic disorder. I also take .5 mg Klonopin at night to sleep and up to 2 time a day for breakthrough. I’ve done great only needing my Klonopin at night. My problem is that I sort of drank for about 3 days at a weekend with my husband and am afraid the Pristiq won’t work anymore. I’ve treated this like starting over and supplementing the Klonopin like I did when getting use to it. I feel horribly guilty. Please tell my brain just needed

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

S to get use to it again....

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

No...I go to a psychiatrist and he knows that I had a history of drinking a little too much about 7 years ago. My husband has been deployed 3 times which started all these panic attacks.

I have felt this way since Friday. I had drinks for 3 days. Not since. Will by pristiq stop working? I don’t want to drink anymore. I feel like I’ve gotten off track.
I have not gotten an answe...
3/11/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** try not to worry. No permanent damage is done. While alcohol can render an SSRI less effective, it is usually just during active use of the alcohol. Now that you have decided not to drink, take your Pristiq as you had been before and everything will be just fine.
Leah
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Oh gosh.....that helps....thank you. It’s okay to take my Klonopin while readjusting to my pristiq? I feel soooooo stupid. The panic is more my problem! But the pristiq keeps me even. I don’t like to take Klonopin except to sleep but will if I have to for a couple days.
I still have questions and requested a call.
You have made me feel better. I feel the same way I did when getting use to the Pristiq. Is it ok to supplement my Klonopin like I did while getting use to it. I eventually got to where I only had to take it at night. I just feel like my brain is off because I drank.
I don’t think I’m using this site correctly. I’m still waiting for my last question.....
I am so sorry. You are using the site correctly. I just got hung up on something and didn't have ability to reply right away. I apologize. I'm glad to hear your Pristiq is working in general. Probably, you're just being really hard on yourself. Anxiety will do that to a person. But overall, again, some of this may just be your anxiety acting up and may not be a direct reflection of whether or not the Pristiq side effects have really changed. They shouldn't. So try to put the past few days behind you and aim to make different decisions in the future that won't stress you out so much.
As far as the Klonopin, you certainly can supplement to get past some acute anxiety. I always caution people about taking the benzos for more chronic anxiety, however, because addiction can be a tough thing to get over. I encourage you to put off any Klonopin dose by about 20 minutes giving yourself a chance to push through anxiety on your own rather than relying on a pill. If you've done that, and still need to take a Klonopin, I think that's fine. Just focus on keeping it for really necessary use and short-term.
Hope this helps, sorry again for the delay.
Leah
thank you for the rating!