Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Mental health and well-being question

Mental health and well-being question
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** be curious to hear your question. Thanks for letting me know how I can help!
Leah
Since a failed relationship which has left me still madly in love with the person I have started having a lot of sex to not think about him and for the attention how do I stop this?
Hi, sorry for the delay. I'm sorry to hear about your heartbreak. It sounds like you are making some risky decisions as a form of punishment for losing this relationship and now you regret thpse decisions. I think you can help yourself by acknowledging that the behavior you are choosing to end your temporary discomfort is not actually helping. It is likely making you feel worse. Instead of that choice for distraction and coping, you need to find more positive outlets for your stress and grief. Instead of turning to another person for comfort, know that you have the inner strength enough to get through this. Turn to other healthier behaviors like exercise, spending time with people who love you, going to movies, journaling, meditating, and doing good things to help other people. Switching your focus to desirable activities will help you alleviate the chances that you put yourself in situations that might create long-term problems for you and will expedite your healing .
You have the ability to stop making these choices as soon as now. Just because you made bad choices recently, that does not mean that you need to prepetutate making those same choices. Today can be the turning point for you to stop initiating these relationships that are causing you grief. Trust yourself. Know that you can do it. One day at a time, don't make those contacts happen. Consider deleting phone numbers for people that put you in compromised situations. Take whatever control of the situation you can but dig deep and rely on yourself to make better choices. You can do it. You don't deserve to put yourself In Harm's Way because of a loss. The hurt will heal as time goes on but it will only take longer if you continue to cope by doing things that are counterproductive. I know it is hard but it starts with your desire to make change and it sounds like you want that. So take a step forward by knowing you don't have to make the same choices again.
I'm here to chat more if you like.
Leah

Hi, just checking in with you since this question is open due to being unrated. How are you? Can I still be of help?

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker