Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My wife has complex-ptsd, depression, and is experiencing…

My wife has complex-ptsd, depression...
My wife has complex-ptsd, depression, and is experiencing on-going current trauma. Recently she has developed insomnia. She tried Seroquil and Trazodone, but with heavy side effects: brain fog the next day. She is considering trying sleep restriction therapy, but do you know if this works with ptsd related insomnia, as opposed to primary insomnia? My worry is that restricting her sleep will make her even more exhausted during the day and exasperate her depression.
3/11/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** am so sorry your question sat as long as it did.
There is evidence to show that cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT -I) does help with patients whose insomnia is primarily related to PTSD. I would assume by sleep restriction that your wife meant a component of CBT that includes minimizing time in bed as a fundamental treatment step incorporated into the CBT. The basic goal is to limit time in bed to the time that one is actually asleep so if an insomniac is only getting 4 hours of sleep, they will initially start their treatment spending only that for hours in bed eventually adding time on the start point and endpoint to bed which creates a gradual increase in sleep. It is actually a very very effective method. Yet, it should also be done in an incremental process and guided by a therapist. Please don't let your wife do sleep restriction without support and guidance. You can read more about the stages of CBT-I online but the first steps involved keeping logs and determining sleep timing prior to restricting sleep. Generally with this type of therapy, things get a little worse before they get better however significant gains are typically shown at the 6-8 week mark and can continue on perpetuating gains until the 6-month mark.
So, I strongly believe that CBT insomnia could be a significant benefit to your wife even with get PTSD and depressant lead to long-term Improvement in her sleep and functioning overall. However, I would strongly advise that she receive this therapy under the guidance of a trained mental health professional who practices CBT-I as a regular part of their skills. Often, sleep clinics offer the service because cognitive behavioral therapy is shown to be equal or sometimes more effective than medicating.
I hope this helps and I'm here to chat more if you'd like! I hope your wife feels her best very soon.
Leah
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker