Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My father, 75, has had 2 episodes of TIA over the past year…

My father, 75, has had...
My father, 75, has had 2 episodes of TIA over the past year and one episode of Bell's Palsy (from which he has now fully recovered). He is diabetic for the last 45 years and hypertensive too. His regimen includes medicine for diabetes, BP and blood thinner. Over the last two weeks, he started watching "people" in his bedroom. These people keep moving in his bedroom at nighttime and don't let him sleep. He also watches doors flying around etc. He tries to talks to them and asks them to leave but they refuse. As soon as some family member comes in the room the "people" go back to the bathroom. During the day he remains OK, moves around, watches TV and talks to family members. But as soon as we goes to his room and tries to relax, he sees these people again. He hasn't slept for almost a week now, as these people keep disturbing him. What is this's condition and how can we make these people or objects go away?
3/9/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** could be several reasons why your father is experiencing these delusions and he will need a medical evaluation to determine the cause. It could be something acute, like a UTI, if the symptoms seemed to come out of nowhere. Or it could be other causes, like dehydration, medication interactions, dementia that has hit a certain point of advancement, additional TIA or other neurological problem, etc. His diminished sleep is certainly not going to help him with this either, so best to pursue evaluation for this asap through a medical doctor. Make sure his doctor checks urine for a UTI, but generally, seek help from a medical team to figure out why he is having these hallucinations. Of note, changes in behavior starting later at night is often called "sun-downing" where a person tends to be less in control of the way they think as the day progresses. People with dementia often suffer from sundowning, making evening and night-time the point in the day where symptoms of this nature become apparent.

If your father's primary care doctor isn't readily available, i would take him to the nearest emergency room for a work-up. Sorry you guys are experiencing this 0- I know it can be scary and frustrating for all involved.

-Leah

Thanks Leah.The neurologist we saw recently thought he was suffering from social isolation due to loss of his wife a year back. He did a physical exam and thought his reflexes and memory were good and he had no sign of dementia.Is this a medical emergency? I am traveling and planning to show him to a psychiatrist on coming Weds? Is that OK or shall we rush him to the emergency now-now?

You are welcome. I am not a doctor but have a lot of geriatric experience and warn that if this is something like a UTI, delaying treatment can lead to significant illness like sepsis. So if you have someone else who can take him to emergency or to his primary care doctor at leas to do some labs and rule outs, then i think that would be important to do as soon as you can. This is especially true because dementia rarely manifests with acute symptoms like this so it isn't likely he suddenly developed dementia. However, another TIA could be to blame, or like I said, an infection like a UTI. Generally, acute changes in cognition should be addressed as early as possible .

Sorry!! I hate to scare you but would also hate for something like sepsis to take hold due to delays in evaluation.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Thank you for the rating. i hope everything takes a quick turn for the better!!

-Leah