Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Abandoned neglected children becoming stable adults; Is it…

Customer Question
Abandoned neglected children becoming stable...
Abandoned neglected children becoming stable adults; Is it possible for severely depressed adults to become productive people if they went for many of their formative years as well as a large portion of their adult years living under the influence of substances as their comfort source?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
How is it that many adults with dysfunctional upbringing, become functional. Or does their functioning bring forth personalities that are falling in line with mental diagnoseses like narcisstic, controlling, etc etc and that is how they are functioning?
3/7/2018
Mental Health Professional: ASacks, Psychologist replied 4 months ago
ASacks
ASacks, Psychologist
Hello,Welcome to JustAnswers. My name is***** little bit about me… I am a psychologist and have been practicing for the last five years in private practice and in a community setting. I work with families and people of all ages. I am also a registered life coach and solution-focused therapist. I am passionate about helping people and finding solutions, not growing problems. I believe that the mind is a very powerful tool and can be used to achieve any outcome in life-positive thoughts lead to a positive life. I am here to help you with your question.

In answer to your question, it is completely possible for children / adults from difficult background to lead a functional and normal life. In fact there has been much research on happiness that says that the happiest people in the world are not those that have never suffered, but those that have suffered and transcended their suffering…. For example, there are many holocaust survivors who underwent many horrors who used their experiences to lead more productive and healthy lives.

You mention that many adult from dysfunctional backgrounds lead functional normal lives (yes at times it is the opposite and their background lead to mental health issues). This is indeed the case and you ask how… the answer I can give you is they make an effort to work on their self-development and live in the now – the only time we really can live. The famous psychologist Victor Frankel (who survived the death camps in WWII) said that people in the holocaust were stripped of everything including their possessions, clothing and even their names. He explains that there were those that became like wild animals… but there were more people who reached the heights of humanity, giving and charity. He mentions that it only takes one person as an example for us as humans to know that this is possible.

So to get back to your question, it is entirely possible for people to transcend anything they have gone through. This takes some dedication, courage and effort and a shift in your thinking habits most importantly. Anything is possible in this world and anything can be achieved.

I am happy to provide you with some tips and advice on making some positive changes in life that can lead to transformation… let me know if this is something you are looking for.

I hope I have managed to answer your question, if not lets carry on this chat and get there together.

All the best

I am just checking in, can I assist you further?