Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What is your opinion of a woman who has attempted suicide 3…

What is your opinion of...
What is your opinion of a woman who has attempted suicide 3 times in 15 months, each time by taking an overdose of prescribed psychiatric meds, stripping naked and getting into a full tub of water before contacting a friend or an ex-husband for help? This person has posted lengthy suicide notes on social media at least two of the times. On the third time, a journal entry of hers was found stating that she hadn't decided who she would call to find her, her current boyfriend or an ex husband. I know she's nuts, but what technical term is there for this? She's been in 3-4 different psych facilities including the state mental hospital. She also is an alcoholic and often washes down her psych meds with booze.
She also flies into violent rages and has physically struck at least one of her husbands, causing concussion and burst eardrum on two separate occasions. I don't know that she physically harms her children (she has 4) but they are present during her outbursts. Interestingly, after things calm down (whether from a more minor incident or after her release from whichever psych facility) she assumes things will just return to "normal" with her living in her house, having custody of her children, just resuming where things left off. It enrages her that others don't want to go back to that.
Sorry, I keep thinking of things. This woman was married and divorced twice, and about 20 days after her second psych hospitalization arranged to remarry her first husband, who agreed largely to try and supply a more stable home for his boys. She has now, after her latest suicidal meltdown attempt, kicked out her husband and is living in a trailer with her meth addicted new boyfriend and his son. She has been sexually promiscuous from her early teens.
3/7/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I don't think these are "real" suicide attempts

posting you are committing suicide on social media pretty much ensures you will be rescued correct?

Of course it does. But the mental health community takes it seriously, as they should, although maybe not as actual suicide attempts. I don't think her doctors/therapists know that she's staging herself and posting about it. I'm wondering about some sort of narcissism (somatic?) or borderline personality disorder. Or just plain sociopathy. Considering all her behaviors together (promiscuity, alcoholism, pills, violence, "suicide" attempts, irrational behaviors such as shaving her head one morning because she had a dream the night before that she was bald), is there a label you can put on this? She came from an extremely dysfunctional family, which should come as no surprise.

Is she using drugs?

She's on several psych medications usually combined with alcohol. Also, during her latest stay in a psych facility week before last her UA tested positive for meth.

Ok. It is impossible to diagnose a primary psychiatric disorder while using drugs

She is showing signs of bipolar, borderline personality and histrionic personality but we can't know until she is clean

Is this helpful?

She has a prior diagnosis of bipolar, but she's been seen by several doctors and has gotten more than one diagnosis, including PTSD, intermittent depression, and anxiety among others. I personally think there's an element of intermittent explosive disorder in there, plus borderline personality. The fact that she organizes things to be found nude after her suicide attempts (she has a beautiful body), plus her promiscuity, makes me think of somatic narcissism. But probably these things overlap to some extent. I don't think we're going to get her clean of all drugs any time soon. It's unfortunate especially for her children and former husbands.

very unfortunate and I agree someone with this many problems likely has multiple diagnoses

Thanks, it's nice to have a little validation, informal though it may be.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this

Hopefully she gets better but unlikely quite honestly

The best thing people can do is stop feeding the attention machine

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Thanks, ***** ***** your perspective. She has alienated herself from everyone in her life who really cared for her, including her children who have elected to live with their sane fathers, and has moved in with this man she barely knows. It likely won't end well as he doesn't seem to be the patient and forgiving type. But what can we do, she's insisted on this. Thank you again for your help.