Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Since childhood I’ve suffered from general anxiety, but

because mental health issues have...
Since childhood I’ve suffered from general anxiety, but because mental health issues have a very negative stigma in my family I’ve never sought treatment. After the recent unexpected death of a family member my anxiety has turned into severe health anxiety. Most commonly anaphylaxis, aneurysm and brain eating amoeba ( ie I got water up my nose yesterday while showering and because we have well water I’m in a panic).Do you think it is possible to treat my issue with counseling and no medication?
How can I calm down from the amoeba fear?
2/13/2018
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, my name is John. Please give me a moment to look over your question.
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** you think of times in your life when you have battled uncertainty or even knowledge of some risk and gotten something done anyway? Like flown on an airplane or drove too fast? To accomplish those things, you had to push through some shreds of doubt and likely anxiety but you did it by ignoring the anxiety and just doing. In your case, the best route right now is do the same. Just ignore the anxiety and the thoughts. The thoughts are not only inaccurate and misleading, but they also cannot predict the future. So instead of treating them as though they carry weight and paying them lots of attention, simply push through their presence by actively ignoring the thought, and also ignoring any anxiety that they bring up. Just ride through the anxiety, letting it start, peak and fade, and while doing so, don't allow yourself any attempts at minimizing the discomfort these nonsense thoughts bring. This gets easier with practice. So in general, allow each scary thought to come and go, tossing it to the back of your mind like you naturally do so many times over the course of a day. Attending to thoughts that cause discomfort by trying to fight them or flee from them only strengthens their presence so instead, give them no investment, accept their presence to be meaninglessness and powerless over you, and roll with any anxiety they may stir. Keep this up and your brain will lose interest and they will begin to fade into the background again.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

I should add, i am sorry you feel such stigma and it is a barrier to you getting the care you may need and deserve. I am glad you were brave to write hear today. I am also sorry about your recent loss and do understand that such things can allow our thoughts to suddenly create scary new paths that we may not have worried much about before. just remember, this too shall pass :)

-Leah

Bonnie Behee-Semler
Bonnie Behee-Semler, Psychologist

Dear customer,

Leah gave you some good advice. The approach she is using is known as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is an excellent approach for anxiety and it helps to get weekly or every other week therapy using this approach. No one needs to know, it's confidential. So, I will get you a list of therapists in your area if you tell me your city.

Dr. Bonnie

Brookfield, CT. Due to financial difficulties however they would need to accept insurance.Thank you

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/ct/brookfield?sid=1518713989.9414_21555&rec_next=1&tr=BackResults

I think Above and Beyond Counseling looks good for you. But having the whole list allows you to pick the race, sex and age you are comfortable with. They all have insurance coverage in their profiles.

Good luck.

Bonnie Behee-Semler
Bonnie Behee-Semler, Psychologist