Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Do i have OCD? Anxiety? Stress? Back in early September, i…

Do i have OCD? Anxiety...
Do i have OCD? Anxiety? Stress?Back in early September, i was on a business trip out of country and ended up receiving oral sex from a CSW. I went outside of my marriage, in which i feel guilty about. 6 days after my encounter, i started freaking out about HIV considering i was in North Africa for my business trip. I had the urge to frequently urinate and i felt little aches all over my body. That all lasted for about 3 weeks, then i woke up to a lump in throat at about a month that lasted a month. I also had a coating on my tongue. I believe due to dry mouth/dry throat. Many doctors stated i had no risk of HIV. Many dentist said my tongue was normal and not thrush. Just dry coated tongue. At 10 weeks and 2 days, i had a 4th gen hiv test. All Negative. Ive had tongue issues for like 3 to 4 months now. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Kinda having a burning sensation. Because of my tongue, its hard for me to believe i had "no risk" and that my test was correct. Im trying to stay off google.
2/7/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** am sorry you are feeling so worried. Considering your details regarding getting a negative HIV test, yet still having lingering doubts, then yes, I believe that points to some anxiety and possibly OCD. Can you tell me, have you ever had a similar time in your life where you found yourself obsessing over something else(even if not health-related), where you just couldn't shake the thought no matter how hard you tried? Or, do you generally consider yourself a worrier about everyday things to the point where you think about worst case scenarios a lot, even if other people may not seem so worried about similar things?

I look forward to hearing your answers to the above questions as that will help me tailor my reply.

-Leah

I would consider myself a Worrier. But nothing like now. If one was to Google "white tongue hiv negative" there are tons of people in my situation. Can prolonged stress anxiety cause these problems? While waiting for test results, the worry was so bad that thoughts of suicide surfaced :/. I just had a child born, and the worry constantly eats at me, and the "what if's" kick in. I consider myself a realist, and although my risk was deemed "no risk" and the lab test was negative. The damn coated tongue keeps me reminded. I have never paid so much attention to my body / symptoms before this.
If I were to get cancer it would suck but it is what it is. The thought of getting a disease like a hiv scares me, More so as I don't want to let anybody down, and I don't wanna put my wife at risk. Getting on Google and looking up stuff about it has almost become an obsession
In case you are wondering, I am not suicidal, i was just trying to illistrate how much duress i was under.
Nothing?

Many apologies. My time has been spread thinner than I anticipated. It sounds like a lot of the underlying worries you have are actually bigger than just the HIV fear. Perhaps your anxiety is even more rooted in the fact that you made this choice, and now are living with extreme guilt and regret. Those are powerful feelings and could greatly be contributing to your nagging sense that you can't quite move past this. To answer your question, prolonged stress and anxiety can cause a plethora of health conditions or make you misconstrue things that otherwise are completely normal. Specifically, I would not think a white tongue would be one of them but the fact remains that you have been ruled out for HIv yet the doubts linger. Since this is the first time you have battled with this level of obsessing about something, then my hunch is that this is anxiety getting the best of you and that you would benefit from more in-depth therapy to really uncover the roots for why you feel so fearful. Yes, the HIV is scary but you consider yourself a realist so you may be less worried about the actual HIV at this point, and instead are being more consumed with some of the implications of your behaviors, such as impact on your family, and perhaps even deeper, a worry about what would happen if you did lose them (or if they lost you.) Perhaps a little bit of a battle with seeing yourself as mortal when yo want to know a ll life is ahead.

So, I think your worries about HIV are probably just the tip of the iceberg right now and bet that if you really started to analyze your fear, you may find that some other anxieties are actually the driving force in your continuing to feel as burdened as you do. If this was just about the HIV, that negative test and ongoing confirmation would have likely resolved/minimized the worry but since not, I suggest you consider meeting with a mental health professional in your community to really delve deeper into your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors.

I hope this helps but welcome hearing back from you!

-Leah

How about dry mouth? Do you see this as being a symptom.

Yes for sure. Anxiety and dry mouth are known to co-occur.

the tip of my tongue is red compared to the rest. Ive read this is usually do to physiological distress. Ever heard of that. I plan on getting real help, but anything i can do or take in the meantime?

i honestly am not aware of the tip f the tongue being a huge indicator of stress but i do think that stress can manifest itself in physical ways. however, there is also no reason to worry you tongue is any different than it ever was, anxiety often calls attention to things and makes them feel amiss when they are perfectly normal. For stress, here is a link to my blog that can give you some quick ideas for trying to level off your anxiety. http://http://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/3-easy-exercises-for-anxiety-relief-you-can-use-anywhere

Also, get your sleep on a schedule and stick to it, eat healthy, exercise, get outside, find dun things and do them, break bigger problems into smaller goals and start chipping away, make time for social engagements, take up a new hobby, take a short vacation, challenge yourself to learn about a new topic, etc. pretty much, find ways to distract and enrich yourself and above all else, seek out fun and rewarding experiences that will help yo regain perspective on the fact that things in you life are still good and under control. :)

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker