Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Was on Paxil for 18 years for anxiety/panic attacks. The…

Was on Paxil for...

Was on Paxil for 18 years for anxiety/panic attacks. The last few years on low dose 12.5 CR Paxil. My wife passed from cancer recently, and when the grief hit, my anxiety skyrocketed again. My primary care and psychiatrist tried different meds over a 4-5 weeks time. First, my primary care bumped up by Paxil CR 12.5 to 25 CR, and then 50mg over 2 weeks time. I was not feeling any better, so contacted psychiatrist and they discussed moving me off Paxil over to Prozac, thinking Paxil no longer working. I will post this much and then follow right behind with the rest of the details in 2nd post.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

The discussion between the primary care and psychiatrist was move me to 40mg immediate release Paxil + 10 mg Prozac for about a week. Then, when I finally got in to see the psychiatrist in person, she moved me to Paxil immediate release 10mgs for 2 days, then done with Paxil for good. At the same time, she had me taking 20 mg Prozac for 1 week, and bumped to 40 mgs Prozac this week. I am doing worse and worse daily with the meds switch, barely hanging on. I am posting here for any suggestions, as I am struggling greatly every day, and feel like I am not going to make it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I am taking 12.5 Ambien for sleep, and Klonopin .5's twice a day. I have lost 25 lbs since Christmas. Just seem to be going downhill quickly.

Answered in 2 days by:
2/6/2018
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
Please tell me the current dose of prozac that you are taking ?
Do you get some respite in your anxiety and overthinking upon taking Klonopin ?
How is your sleep ?
Do you have diabetes , thyroid disorder, high blood pressure or any other medical condition ?
I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.
Regards
Stopped my Prozac last week, and moved me back to Paxil in 1 day. Now on 20mg immediate release Paxil only.
Yes, Klonopin does provide relief from high anxiety.
Sleeping not great, but Ambien works better than the Visceral they had me try. Probably getting 4-6 hours per night on good nights.
None of the other medical conditions you mentioned.
Thank you
Thanks for the inputs.
Well, I would suggest that you discuss with your doctor to use paxil 20 mg in two divided doses of 10 mg each that is morning and evening 10 mg for one week and then increase the dose to 20 mg morning and 10 mg evening dosing respectively for one week and then further raising the dose to 20 mg morning ang 20 mg evening for next 3 weeks. Meanwhile , for mitigating high degree of anxiety , use Klonopin 0.5 mg morning , evening and night of initial 5 days and thereafter go back to morning and evening doses for maintenance.
Rest of the drugs shall be continued as they are being used now.
Kindly discuss this with your doctor and do the needful changes under his guidance and hopefully your anxiety and Depression will be better managed.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist