Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband was diagnosed with late onset schizophrenia last…

Customer Question
My husband was diagnosed...

My husband was diagnosed with late onset schizophrenia last yr. He has been off the med but a bad head pain like a headache which pandol and neufron can not get rid of it. why does he have these head pains. No one can tel me

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Pain is like a sharp knife through is brain. has had the pain about a month after having delusion and paranoid systems. he has also told me today that he not feeling well and he can work.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Can you give me examples. trying to think what i need to list. he has had too ct scans of the brain but everyone tells us there is nothing there. he then went into ed couple months after and one of the doctors said he had a secondary cysis but said should not be part of his conditions that he experienceing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2018
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Have the doctor ruled out migraine headache and have they checked is blood pressure ? Is it under control ?

Have the bouts of headaches been preceded by extreme stress ?

What all drugs is he taking right now ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards

The gp is telling its just stress and in his head. He has taken pills for migraine and nothing has work. He use to take arpiziane drug but has been off since Aug. He has been drinking full cartons of beer every second day. His mind is very distracted can keep still walks up and down in the same line every 5 min.

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, if he is drinking so much beer this will only worsen his headache plus it may unleash the symptoms of schizophrenia or make them worse.

So first and foremost he needs to curb his drinking and secondly i will suggest that you discuss with his doctor to start him on elavil ( amitriptyline ) at dose of 10-25 mg / day which is a drug used for migraine headache and along with it also start a mood stabilizer such as depakote ( divalproex ) at dose of 250 mg / day. Also ask his doctor to consider adding propanolol at dose of 20-40 mg / day depending upon his severity of headache and judgment of doctor.

So to summarize discuss the below mentioned drugs with his doctor to manage his headache and possible mood disturbance which has either already ensued or is about to take place due to his excessive drinking.

Hopefully this shall take care of his headache. And yes he needs to be reassessed for psychotic symptoms by his doctor.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards