Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Ever since i was little i had ocd. It started with

Ever since i was...

Ever since i was little i had ocd . It started with conpulsive hand washing and thibga of the routine nature to obessive unwanted thoughts. I had thoughts of harming myself,others , being gay and overall just losing control and going crazy. I havent had these thoughts for about 7 years but yesterday my husband saw a movie on a phycopath and the thoughts returned. What if i go nuts and kill my dog ? What if ive had these thoughts because i actually am a phycopath? I get so anxious i want to vomit. Am i a phycopath? Today i kept thinking what if i just punch the wall and scream and i actually screamed once. Does the fact that i did that mean i could do my other thoughts? I don’t know if I did it to assure myself nothing would happen by screaming or if I did it because I lost control and could lose control on all aspects . So now I worry more on that. Please someone comfort me and reassure me I’m just ocd .

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Since childhood

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Just overall anxiety

1/22/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** I am so sorry to hear your OCD snuck back up on you. I can assure you, what you are describing sounds like textbook OCD. You are NOT a psychopath an are not at risk for becoming one. As you know with OCD, some random thing prompts a cycle of obsessions and off your mind is, racing, contemplating, and testing. That is the compulsive nature of OCD and the cycle of obsessions and compulsions feed one another. Have you ever had formal treatment for OCD? I If you have, you may recall that step 1 is to STOP any compulsive responses to this thought. Basically, allow them to come and go without any action towards them. No fighting the thought by trying to test it or prove it wrong, and no fleeing the thought by trying to make it stop. Instead, just allow the scary thoughts to come and go, even if they produce anxiety, and deliberately pay them no mind and offer them no action or attention. Consider doing only the following to address them" Hey OCD, I know you want to mess with me today so go ahead and try. I am just going to ignore you because you are meaningless." Then get on to doing something else in spite of your anxiety and doubt.

OCd is tricky and manipulative but as of now, you can get a hold of this by stopping all compulsions related to the thoughts that sprung up. The less you attend to them, the quicker they will fade.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

Thanks your response really helped me your awesome. I think I screamed because of frustration too because I was completely free of it for years. Normal me is cool and loving and maybe even overly empathetic and sensitive so I remind myself my Im a phycopath isn’t just going to develop randomly . I’ve never had formal treatment I’ve usually been able to anal myself of out if after awhile with distraction and help from prayer. I’m also about to get period and start a new job tomorrow and just joined a new church so maybe all this new stuff is adding on to my underlying anxiety too

You are welcome. And yes! So much stress on your plate is the most likely culprit for why this resurfaced. Just get yourself out of the mode of even worrying about it and like the other times, this too shall pass. I also agree you probably screamed out of frustration and that is understandable given you didn't need anything additional to tussle with right now.

I do want to add that for many sufferers, OCD does wax and wane, sometimes striking out of the blue or sometimes following periods of stress, etc. I know you went a long time without it and have worked your way through successfully before, so you certainly can do it! But for optimal success, especially in terms of preventing relapses, you could consider taking a safe medication called an SSRI, which can help keep obsessions and anxiety at bay (e.g. Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Pail, lexapro). Your doc can help you think though whether that is a worthwhile option at this time.

I hope everything gets settled for you and wish you the best of luck at your new job and new church!! You can do this - you are stronger than OCD so immediately stop contemplating the lies it is spewing and you can get past this.

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Thanks Leah! :)

Thank YOU so much for the bonus and rating. I hope you feel your best very soon!

-Leah