Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am a psychiatric outpatient in new jersey, i am prescribed…

i am a psychiatric outpatient...
i am a psychiatric outpatient in new jersey, i am prescribed medications, i don't recall the details of my treatment plan, with regards ***** ***** what is prescribed, and adjusting or discontinuing my own medication, where do i typically stand? i am on social security disability and this specialty doctor was difficult to find and book an appointment with, i really don't want to be in jeopardy of breaking any contracts, or being forced through my own negligence to find another.
1/22/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** I appreciate your concern about following your doctor's recommendations for your ideal treatment. It is understandable to sometimes forget what exactly needs to happen - I see it quite often in my day-to-day work in the medical field. So without shame, go ahead and call your psychiatrist's office and request to talk to his/her nurse. Tell the nurse that you called seeking clarification on the medications you are to be taking and when. She should be more than willing to help clarify this for you so you don't run the risk of missing important doses or appearing noncompliant. If this is a bigger problem for you and happens more regularly, you may want to ask if they have a social worker you can speak to to find resources like prepackaged pill packs, pharmacies who help do set-ups, people who can come to the home to help, etc.

I hope this helps and assure you, making the call to see clarification is an ideal thing to do even if you feel slightly embarrassed or worried about the response. The goal of the team is to have you feel your best and your medications are a big piece of this. They should support you in making sure you are doing as the doctor ordered.

Does this answer your question? I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Phone call session started

Thanks for requesting a call. Are you free to talk now?

I will try giving you a call now.

hello i received a call, but it did not go through

Ok. Let me try calling you direct.