Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I'm just going to get straight to the point I went to the…

Customer Question
Hi I'm Kim and I'm...
Hi I'm Kim and I'm just going to get straight to the point I went to the hospital mabey two weeks ago because I woke up one night feeling hot and my heart was racing and it's been going on for a while now they said it was anxiety and gave me Hydroxyzine 25mg and it helps at night because that's when I mainly experience the anxiety but sometimes I don't take it because I don't want to rely on them when they run out but without them I cannot sleep at night. Sometimes I feel fainty and the tip of my tongue has been numb not like numb to where I can't feel anything but numb enough to know something isn't right and it's been numb for like a week now. I'm always thinking about if I'm going to die my mind constantly thinks about that especially at night I just don't know what to do anymore I'm scared all the time I just know something isn't right inside of me I just want to feel like myself again. Also sometimes my head hurts like it feels big I don't really know how to explain it like a slight little headache sometimes but nothing major I just want this feeling to go away. Can you help me please???
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Mental Health
1/19/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 29 days ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi Kim, thank you for writing. My name is***** things you are describing sound like classic anxiety symptoms. Our minds sure can get carried away when it comes to worrying about our health and physical symptoms can arise (or suddenly feel meaningful) from that worry. It sounds like you had major concerns ruled out medically, but anxiety often plants doubt regardless of the facts. If you want to be proactive so you can feel your best very soon, I strongly suggest you not delay and make an appointment with a counselor to discuss management of anxiety. I might also suggest that you talk to your primary care doctor about starting you on an SSRI for help with management of anxiety, although, hydroxyzine is an okay thing for you to take right now to help you over this hump 9you need sleep to feel your best!). I understand meds are not your preferred course and respect that, and in that case, would still point you to therapy as so much of management of anxiety can occur through behavioral strategies. Here is my favorite website for finding someone... http://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

Anxiety is a normal part of life. It is or brain's alarm system helping us to identify things in our environment that we feel may pose a risk to our health and well-being but this perpetual worry can affect the way we feel, how we think and how we behave. When anxiety interferes with daily life, relaxation and refocusing can be one way to combat it. Consider trying the exercises below. Your mind may begin to wander during the process. If distractions arise (thoughts about tonight’s dinner or those unread work emails), simply observe the intrusion and let it float on by. Bring your attention back to the exercise and keep at it.

Square breathing

Square breathing helps regulate the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in our bodies, which can often be out of balance when anxiety is at play. Square breathing involves breathing in, holding the breath, exhaling and holding it again — all for four counts apiece.

Repeat the cycle for several minutes. This exercise promotes relaxation and leads to clearer thoughts, helping to reset emotional peaks.

Mindfulness

The art of living in the moment, mindfulness seeks to bring a person fully into the present by engaging all five senses. So much of our time, after all, is spent focusing on the past or future, or simply going about our busy lives without thinking twice.

Mindfulness can be practiced anywhere and applied to any activity. Consider the process of taking a shower: Most of us just go through a pattern of steps, rushing through the routine to move forward with our day. A mindful shower would involve paying attention to the smell of your soap, the feel of the warm water on your different body parts, the sound of the water hitting your back and the steam enveloping the bathroom, for example.

By observing things in real time and being aware, we can calm the part of the logical mind fixated on what comes next. This helps us appreciate things more and reduces stress and worry.

Progressive muscle relaxation (PMR)

Anxiety often manifests itself physically in our bodies. One common physical reaction to anxiety is muscle tension. When we begin to experience anxiety, our bodies can stay tense without us even realizing it. Ironically, our brain then perceives this tension and treats it as a warning sign that there is reason to be worried, and the anxiety alarm starts to sound. It is a vicious cycle.

Progressive muscle relaxation seeks to help your brain recognize what it feels like for your muscles to be in a relaxed, tension-free state. To initiate PMR, get comfortable in a seated position. Starting at the tips of your toes and working your way up, flex each major muscle group for a count of 10 seconds, then release for a count of 10 seconds. Move on to the next group of muscles, flexing for 10 seconds, then releasing for 10 seconds.

This action helps remind the body of the difference between tension and relaxation, which can help the brain identify and remedy a tense situation. As this unconscious tension tends to trip the anxiety alarm, keeping muscles relaxed as much as possible is an important tool that can combat ongoing anxiety.

I know it doesn't feel like it now but you can and will get past this. Anxiety tends to wax and wane but now is a great time to seek support so you don't inadvertently make anxiety worse by paying too much attention to it. Stay objective, practice relaxation, and don' let yo anxiety boss you around.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker