Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Been to many doctors over the past year and everything comes…

Customer Question
Been to many doctors over...
Been to many doctors over the past year and everything comes back normal. One said Its my anxiety causing all my physical symptoms. What are some physical symptoms of anxiety
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/19/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 6 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** of the most common physical manifestations of anxiety that I see are jitteriness, shortness of breath, chest pain/tightness, racing heart, lightheadedness, soreness/stiffness, shoulder and back pain, GI issues, fatigue, and heart palpitations. Others that I less commonly see but know exist are things like vision problems, hot flashes, trembling, and numbness.

In my experience, almost any physical symptom can get magnified with anxiety so something that we might otherwise not worry about or write off as "normal" can get exaggerated in intensity by the sheer presence of anxiety and then take on a life of its own in terms of concern and focus. Anxiety causes our brains to focus and ruminate on physical symptoms which can subsequently impact the way we perceive their presence, intensity, and need for attention.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah