Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I put in a question earlier and it was directed to a legal…

Customer Question
I put in a question...
I put in a question earlier and it was directed to a legal professsional but I would like to know from the mental health side if I am thinking correctly about getting my daughter therapy for all that she has been axposed too.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/19/2018
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 7 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello, I am here to help you with your question regarding your daughter and her need to go to therapy. I see she is 13 years old, has she expressed a desire to have someone to talk to about the situation or is she complaining of symptoms? I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

I have seen her behavior change over time and when ever she comes home from this household. Because it’s her only outside of school friend and we relocated less than 3 years ago, I let her spend a lot of time with this friend before I knew what was going on with the mom and dad.
The family try’s to conceal by throwing money at everything. Nannies, drivers, shopping, spa treatments etc.
I this past weekend I was gone for a family wedding and my daughter stayed with her friend and the mom was drunk and chasing the girls into their room and they were scared and locked the doors.

If you have a close bond with your daughter the best thing to do is to help her to know that it is your job to keep her emotionally , mentally and/or physically safe from any kind of harm and that being in the house with an adult who is drunk can be unsafe for her. Then invite her to share her feelings and thoughts with you about her friends parents behavior. Assure her you will not judge, or react to what she tells you but that you want her to have the ability to share anything that she might be confused about, worried about or thinking about. Maybe she is worried about her friends? etc., Young adolescents are resilient but they do tend to internalize what they worry about. So get her talking to you and if you sense she has any kind of guilt or internal conflict that she is struggling with suggest that she talk to the school counselor. The school counselor will be able to assess whether a clinical professional is needed. Her entering puberty adolescence may also be contributing to her changes in behavior over time. Linda D, LMSW, CASAC

I wish you and your daughter all the best. Please let me know if I can help any further. May I ask, could you please take a moment to rate my service to you. i would truly appreciate it. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC