Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I just had a one night stand with a younger man, who said…

I just had a...

I just had a one night stand with a younger man, who said afterwards that we should repeat this eventually, but then I sent some stupid text messages and an email which was way too intense and probably scared him off. Wish I could take it back, but not sure How

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

Yes. I'm waking up at 2 a.m. these days. The incident happened a week ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

No. I'm not diagnosed with anything re mental health just feel blue right now and exhausted

1/18/2018
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
It sounds like you feel blue and exhausted because you hoped that this might turn into something more than just a one-night stand. Yes he might feel spooked but his intention may also have been for to just be a casual one-night stand. Are you okay with putting it into that category and moving forward and begin healing?
I had no concept whatsoever, no expectation therefore with regards ***** ***** turning into something. Given the nature of the circumstance, it was something that HAD to happen eventually. I guess, I'm more upset at myself for seeming " complicated " in those text messages that we exchanged after our encounter.
One of those things, where it would have been better to shut up and just let things go wherever they would have gone. It was clear to me that he is NOT into relationships, so therefore no expectation of that
Go easy on yourself here. It obviously kicked up a lot of feelings of desire in you and that is why you reached out. just because he didn't respond that's more of a reflection on him and less on you so as best you can go easy on yourself. your feelings and your reaction is quite normal and healthy. it shows that you have the ability to connect with another.
I am glad that you didn't shut up. I will always advocate for expressing one's feelings and desires so be proud of yourself that you have those feelings and can express them. Again the fact that he didn't reach back out and response is a reflection on him and not you.
That' very encouraging, and will help to heal. I won't continue to beat myself up for saying how I felt. I;m not really comfortable to storm into a guys door and ask him to have sex with me again, which is what he suggested I do. I'm old fashioned. I think the guy has to make the move, or answer to one of those Casual Encounter Ads on the internet..
Stay true to yourself. Read my words again when you're feeling a little shaky. You did nothing wrong, you have healthy desires, and a beautiful ability to express yourself.
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Thanks very much. You are very kind!
My pleasure. Again go easy on yourself. all is well.