Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Is there a psychiatric diagnosis for someone, as an example…

Customer Question
Is there a psychiatric...

Is there a psychiatric diagnosis for someone, as an example a nurse, who fabricates and/or exaggerates situations or a patient’s symptoms in order to gain attention for “handling” and/or “resolving” the crisis other than Munchausen’s by proxy? Not actually inflicting injury or causing illness.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Is there a psychiatric diagnosis, other than Munchausen’s by proxy, where a person, say a nurse, fabricates and/or exaggerates a patient’s situation and/or symptoms in order to gain attention for being the “rescuer”? Not to the extent of actually causing or inflicting harm to the patient.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Not my history, but someone I work with.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mental Health
1/19/2018
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist replied 1 month ago
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

While it is difficult to diagnose anyone without being able to talk to them directly and do an evaluation, it sounds like your co worker might fall into the "rescuer" category, which is not necessarily a psychiatric diagnosis but a syndrome where a person feels that they are able to "save" people because they have special skills or are above others in their skill level. People who make more of a situation in order to appear more important or to rescue someone may suffer from a desire to appear noble or even better than others. They are usually seeking praise that is used to elevate themselves in comparison to others around them. It is often seen with people who were abused in childhood and who develop a need to rescue others and to gain praise because no one rescued them (kept them safe or helped them) or praised them, both strong needs in child development. The person will play out the scenario over and over in hopes of addressing deep seated needs from their past. More than likely, however, the person is unaware of why they act as they do and would benefit from mental health therapy to get to the roots of their behavior.

It is also possible that your co worker suffers from a personality disorder. Personality disorders that closely resemble what you describe include Narcissistic personality disorder. Someone who is Narcissistic wants to be the center of attention at all times. If they feel they are "just one of many" they will seek ways to stand out in social situations in order to feel special and gain attention. The nature of nursing is to care for others, which takes away the focus on someone with Narcissism. Here is a link to help you learn more about Narcissism and to see if the symptoms fit your co worker's situation:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder

It would be ideal if your co worker was willing to see a mental health professional for an evaluation so a possible diagnosis could be made and she could get to the root of her behavior. However, if your co worker continues to cause problems and you feel there could be harm done to a patient or others, you may want to report the behavior. It helps to keep a log with dates, times and actions so you have facts to go by if you do decide to report your co worker.

I hope this has helped you,

MaryAnn

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Hello, I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you!

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist