Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I had been on Ativan for awhile because of severe anxiety.

My psychiatrist recently switched me...
I had been on Ativan for awhile because of severe anxiety. My psychiatrist recently switched me to klonopin to help with the weaning process. I still seem to have anxiety and nausea. Is this a common practice?
1/19/2018
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Please mention the doses of ativan from which you were shifted to klonopin and also mention doses of klonopin ?

Regards

1mg Ativan up to 3 times per day to klonopin 3 times per day 0.5 mg.
You see since you have been shifted to half dose of ( 0.5 mg three times a day of Klonopin ) what you used to take of Ativan ( 1 mg three times a day ) , so one may feel anxiety and nausea as withdrawal symptoms for few days and once these symptoms subside on their own then you can proceed with withdrawal of Klonopin in the below mentioned pattern under the supervision of your doctor.
0.5 , 0.25 , 0.5 x 1 week
0.5 , stop , 0.5 x 1 week
0.25 and 0.5 x 1 week
0.25 and 0.25 x 1 week
Stop , and 0.25 x 1 week
Half of 0.25 at night x 5 days
Take half of 0.25 mg on alternate night x 10 days
Stop Klonopin.
This is a slow yet safe withdrawal strategy which shall prevent withdrawal symptoms.
I hope this helps.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist