Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a question about derealization. story short i had…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about derealization. Long story short i had anxiety for years/still do. I was prescribed some sort of benzo and took it as needed for some years. Sometimes i would take this daily for weeks or just take it once a month if i had an episode. I started with alprozalam and was switch to klonopin after about 3-4 years. durung the first go round with the benzo i had stopped taking it at one point for maybe a year or more and never noticed any problems of withdrawal (to my knowledge) Fast forward to when i started attending college for the second time and i am now on klonopin the same was as i took the alprozalm. The only difference is near the end of me taking the klonopin i was taking it every day. maybe twice a day at 1mg per pill. im not exactly sure for how long but no more than a year. I knew i needed to stop the medication so i tapered off of it as recommended. (I think) I had some mild but noticeable withdrawal at first and then things got better with feeling normal and really not showing any anxiety symptoms. As of about 3 weeks ago i have been feeling very strange. like in a dream and having thoughts of how and why and just that things don't feel real. Its hard to explain. Its like i use to feel at home and now i dont. This has sparked up intense anxiety and very uncomfortable feelings. My first question is, do you think this is protracted withdrawal form benzo. from what iv read it can be rough. My second question is, i think i have been off of klonopin for at least 3-6 months if not 7 or 8. Because of my recent feelings and an airplane ride which no matter what makes me freak out iv taken a .5mg 4 times in the last 3 months. Is this a huge mistake after not taking the medication for so long. Can this cause the problems i am having? or could it prolong a withdrawal period as in reset my progress? Is taking this medication occasionally like i have caused these issues or will cause them is them? Sorry for the terrible grammar and punctuation.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

That's kind of the question im asking you and the timeline of symptoms is in my description of the problem.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Not that i know of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/18/2018
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist replied 7 months ago
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist

Thanks for your query.

kindly let me know about your present symptoms and specially the symptoms related to Anxiety. Are your anxiety symptoms under control or not after taking Klonopin?

Currently are you taking any medicines?

Suffering from or have suffered from any medical condition in past? Any history of substance dependence currently or in past?

Kindly also try this online test and let me know about your score?

Generalised Anxiety Disorder Assessment (GAD-7)