Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

If a child cried after leaving a bonding assessment with a…

Second opinion] If a child...
Second opinion] If a child cried after leaving a bonding assessment with a mother (because she didn't want to leave the mother) would the therapist likely say the child has abandonment issues or would she say the child and mother should go to reunification therapy?Child and mother have been apart for 18 months because of work. Guardians wanted to do adoption against mothers consent. Judge ordered bonding assessment to see how the child has bonded with mother. Mother is now waiting to see what therapist recommends.
1/17/2018
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** it would be very hard to give a conclusive judgement about what a therapist may say given the limited information you shared. Certainly, the child being upset with the separation will give information for the therapist to process, but that is just one bit of the puzzle that the therapist would look at to determine her conclusions and recommendations. In general, the child being upset at the separation and not wanting to leave the mother sounds like a very good sign that there was an attachment worthy of exploration and support.

I am sorry to you if this is part of your life - such things can be so very difficult!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker