Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My Dr. took me off xanax that I have been in for 15years,

cold turkey, I can stand...
My Dr. took me off xanax that I have been in for 15years, cold turkey, I can stand it. I also keep testing positive for meth. I am not on meth, I tried it years ago and my horrible anxiety will not tolerate it. It has to be otber meds. What should I do? And what meds can help with the benzodiazepine withdrawel, i habe constant shake and my bp goes up very high quickly.
1/16/2018
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

If you were recently taking a benzodiazepine with a shorter half-life like Xanax, your doctor may first prescribe a benzodiazepine with a longer half-life, such as chlordiazepoxide or Klonopin (clonazepam) to help ease your symptoms during withdrawal and to facilitate the tapering process. Other medications that may be used in managing severe Xanax withdrawal include:

I hope this is helpful to you and you are able to find a physician in your area to help you. Doctor's are being highly regulated these days regarding prescribing controlled substances and are becoming extremely conservative now.

Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

• Phenobarbital.

• Anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine and valproate.

• Sedating antidepressants such as trazodone.

• Antihypertensive medications such as clonidine or propranolol for those who experience severe autonomic consequences as part of the benzo withdrawal syndrome (e.g., racing heart, hypertension, profuse sweating).

If you no longer need my service, could you please take moment to rate my service to you. I would truly appreciate it. Best wishes to you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC