Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I went through a major depressive episode after an abortion…

I went through a...

I went through a major depressive episode after an abortion which resulted in several suicide attempts last year in June. Since then I’ve recovered and I’m doing well. I’m not on any current mendications and I’m still improving in my mood. Anxiety is stabilised and under control. However I want to return to my nursing school. My psychiatrist is hesitant to say I’m fit to return back to nursing as she has only seen me once. How do I go about getting a medical clearance? How do I prove that I’m mentally stable? It is important for me to continue my degree, as this is the first major step for me to take to regain some of my life back.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Currently my symptoms are fine, I have not been depressed or anxious lately

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I’ve been diagnosed with depression and anxiety

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/16/2018
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

I m so glad to hear that you are feeling better and managing the anxiety and depression from this event. it is important that you go back to your psychiatrist and share what you shared here. Do a little homework and write down all of the ways that you believe you are well again. Share whatever resources you have put in place to maintain your emotional wellness. I am attaching a self help wellness chart of assets you an put in place to maintain your well being. The more of these assets you have the better. Also you may want to agree to check in with him/her for the first six months you are back in school to see how you are handling the stress. I think it is going to be okay. I wish you all the best and I am here if you need me further. Sincerely ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Please take a moment to rate my service to you, i would truly appreciate it. Thank you and good luck at nursing school.

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC