Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

How should I handle a situation with a group of ladies who…

How should I handle a...
How should I handle a situation with a group of ladies who asked me how a friend was and I felt compelled to answer about her health with too much info and now I am afraid my friend who has no idea that I said anything about her. She did not say to not tell but I feel so bad afterwards.. I am feeling worried and thinking how long it will take for this to get back to her possibly. Do I ask the group not to tell anyone? Probably too late since it was two days ago or should I tell my friend what I said? Or shall I just sweat it out, but that only makes my life miserable.
1/16/2018
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, my name is John. I am so sorry you are in this predicament. I think you need to tell her what you told the girls. We have all said more than we wish at some time or another. By you telling her, you can make it clear you regret it before it gets back round to her. She has a chance to prepare fore it before she gets bombarded with other sympathy for her condition. Honestly, you meant no harm. Surely she will understand. Does that make sense?
I really did mean no harm but tonight I all of a sudden realized what it must have sounded like to the group when I was talking about a life long friend and how I was caught up in telling her story when it wasn't my story to tell. I am disappointed in myself that I could remind myself that in this group were a couple of girls that repeat things. I was ok until I remembered that I said my friend was worried about possible dementia Why can't I just say " she's fine" and shut my mouth
I am truly ashamed
As i said, we all have done it. Just make sure you don’t sugarcoat you apology. Offer an effective apology:1. Acknowledge the pain caused her. You have broke her trust. Now see if you can regain it.2. Admit you are to blame and nobody else.3 Accept the consequences. Offer your apology with no strings attached.It is always better to be upfront. That way there are no surprises. I hope the best...
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Thanks