Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I've recently been diagnosed with adjustment disorder,

I've recently been diagnosed with...
I've recently been diagnosed with adjustment disorder, depressive disorder and suicidal ideation. Is it possible for there to be a more serious underlining condition or disorder? Is it possible to all these conditions all at once after being diagnosed within a matter of two week?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/13/2018
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello, I am glad you reached out for help with your question. It is a good one and I have a few of my own questions before I answer you with my thoughts. Can you tell me who diagnosed you? Did an event happen recently that led to these diagnosis? I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Doctor Armstrong diagnosed me and I was recently an inpatient at the hospital for suicidal thoughts.

Okay, so to answer your question, no, there does not need to be any other more serious diagnosis for you to have been assessed as having Suicidal Ideation (that is why you were at the hospital), Depressive d/o and Adjustment d/o (these are related to each other, in other words your depression is being caused by an event in your life you are having a difficult time adjusting to). And yes, these are all related to each other and yes, it is absolutely possible they can all be diagnosed together. Does this answer your questions? Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

is there anyway my condition can improve such as taking medication or psychotherapy? And is it possible that it’s just a regular adjustment disorder or could it be chronic?
How long does it take for improvement?

Yes, an adjustment disorder can be treated with psychotherapy preferably Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). You can find a list of psychotherapists in your area by going to PsychologyToday.com. And medication is absolutely helpful in treating the symptoms of depression and allowing you to feel more emotionally balanced to do the necessary work to get at the underlying events, experiences, causes, etc. It is very difficult to determine the length of time for the psychotherapy to be effective but a person can usually plan on being in therapy for an average of 6-18 months. I wish you all the best and am here if you need me further. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Thank you Linda

Your welcome. Could you please take a moment to rate my service to you I would truly appreciate it. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC