Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 52 year old son is having problems. In July 2017 he had a…

My 52 year old...

My 52 year old son is having problems. In July 2017 he had a seizure while driving and ran off the road, it was really slow and no one was injured. My 13 year old grandson was one of his three children in the truck with him at the time and he called 911 and the emt's took him to the hospital. He was admitted to ICU where he remained for 4 days then was moved to the medical floor for another 4 days. During his time in the hospital he had about 10 or 12 seizures, was combative, had to be restrained to his bed because he kept trying to get up to leave the hospital. He was verbally abusive to everyone there. The doctor said the seizures were probably caused from the fact he had pretty much NO potassium or magnesium in his body and that he was lucky to be alive. He also drinks almost every day and had tried to go cold turkey, which could have also caused the seizures. Since then I hardly recognize him His personality has changed so much and he refuses help from anyone but can't help himself. He has lost his business, is losing his home, car and hasn't seen his children since early November (long ugly story) He went through an awful divorce 6 years ago, which devastated him and he has been struggling since then. Right now he is staying in his house. His lights, gas have been turned off, someone threw a rock thru his dining room window which we have tried to have fixed for him, but that hasn't happened either. He has no money or health insurance and I have given him all the money I can possibly give him, which hasn't helped anyway. I am at the end of my rope as to what to do. Because of his age my friends and family think I should just leave him alone and let whatever happens happen. I can't. He needs help and I am begging for information on how to help him before its too late

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

What??

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

He has high blood pressure He is not over weight at all, probably under weight

1/13/2018
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
I apologize for the canned response. I seriously think your friends are are on the right track. Unless you have guardianship, there is nothing you can force him to do. He has to choose to get help. The best hope you have is try to create a environment which makes seeking help look attractive. That means as long as he is drinking, not working, and not seeking help, you are not going to help him. I am assuming you are providing his housing and everything. If you are doing that, you are removing all motivation for improvement. I know that was not the answer you were looking for but I believe it to be the answer you need. Does that make sense?
its so hard to believe there isn't something I can do for him. I am not paying for his living expenses, that's why he has no food, power, heat and his house is in foreclosure as well as his truck being repossessed. I am not able to financially help him as we live on social security. We are living almost 1000 miles away from him during the winter months so he is pretty much alone. His 2 sisters have tried to encourage him also. I guess you are right, as hard as it is to hear and to deal with. thank you for your time I appreciate it.
The only other things I can think of is one, try to give him hope. Try to get him to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel. It maybe hard to find, but there is hope for everyone. Two, encourage him to attend therapy. I know he evidently resists that, but it is what he needs. See if you can recruit help, somebody close by to encourage him. In the end though, theee will only work if he wants them to. He has to make the choice.

I​ hope I was helpful. If so, please take time right now and give me a five star rating so I can receive crfedit for my response.

John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)