Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy Thursday. I got to

thinking about the anesthesia and...
I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy Thursday. I got to thinking about the anesthesia and am concerned about something.I am Bipolar II and OCD. I am uploading my med list.I have had an ongoing event for several months, but it seems to be intensifying. When I wake in in the morning, for a couple minutes I am in a transition period between being asleep and awake. Sometimes I don't know what room I am in. (I am sleeping in the family room because I have sleep apnea and the mask won't seal and my snoring keeps my wife awake.) But that is not the main issue. I talk in my sleep. During the transition period, I continue to talk to what I was dreaming about.When I open my eyes I see a person standing in the room. He/she is harmless. I know he is not real. And I know if I wave my arm through the area, it will fade away. If I pause, it goes away by itself.Regardless of how many times I wake up during the night, and if it is through the day... this happens only once a day at my main wake up time.Is this a concern when I am sedated to have the colonoscopy? I don't know if I should call the surgeon ahead of the procedure. I can't call until Tuesday because of the holiday and the procedure is Thursday.Thank you.
Other than this transition period, I have never seen things. I don't ever hear things.
1/13/2018
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello Jeff, from what you are saying here i does not sound like this is a mental health issue that would affect you getting anesthesia, however, with anesthesia it is always best to let your doctor know anything out of the ordinary you may be experiencing. He/she has many, many options for sedation so the more he/she knows the better. You were wise to think about this. I wish you the best, ***** ***** for using Just Answer. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Thank you for the positive rating and the generous bonus. I really appreciate it. ;^) Linda D.

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC