Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have leukemia. I was wondering about when to hesitate

telling people. I expect a...
I have leukemia. I was wondering about when to hesitate telling people. I expect a bit of sympathy, but I also want patience. I'm tired at times, need more sleep and a different work schedule. I quit a job because some of the supervisors/ managers were kind of cold and threatening.
1/13/2018
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. I am reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

I am so sorry to hear this. I have a chronic illness as well. I agree it is difficult to know when to tell people. I don't tell people for their sympathy. I tell them for their understanding. My thoughts are, any time your illness affects your performance or relationship, be up front about it. Tell them that you have leukemia and how it affects you. Let them know you do not necessarily seek their sympathy, but their understanding and support when needed. You do need somebody that will go to bat for you when needed. You too need to stand up for your self. You should not have to quit a job due to an inconsiderate boss. Do not hesitate to go to your boss' boss or even your congressman if that is what it merits. Some things you will not possibly be unable to do any more. Be realistic, but don't give up either. Continue to do everything you can. Does this make sense?

I​ hope I was helpful. If so, please take time right now and give me a five star rating so I can receive crfedit for my response.

John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)