Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am battling depression. I've had it off and on since I was…

Customer Question
I am battling depression...

I am battling depression. I've had it off and on since I was fourteen. I'm 45 now. I take lots of medication, I see a psychiatrist, and a therapist, but every morning and much of the day, I am still very depressed. any suggestions? I don't know what to do anymore

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

In the mornings I want to just disappear. I feel scared and sad. Yes, I called the suicide hotline today to talk, and I left a message today with my psychiatrist. Last night I cried to my boyfriend. but my depression is hard on him and I've only lived with him for one month and don't want to lose him.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

The psychologist knows it all. it's in my family..my aunt, my father, and my grandmother

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/13/2018
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 7 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

I am so sorry you are struggling with such persistent, severe depression. There is a book called "things will go terribly, horribly wrong." by ***** ***** which is a bit of a different approach to treating anxiety/depression. Rather than fighting or resisting, actually embracing that you have depression and learning to live your life as fully as possible anyway. More of a change in perception of the disorder than struggling with it or against it. This might be something to look into. Also I am going to attach a chart for self help for wellness. The more of these "assets" you have in place, the better, more resilient you will be against symptoms. I wish you well, never give up, every day we are learning more and more as professionals how to help individuals. I hope this helps. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Thanks Linda. However, I️ do not see the chart attachment. Can you please send it again? My email is***@******.***

Ahh, sorry Joanna. Here you go. Linda